MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Help or Hindrance

pablodiablo

Hi hunt talkers...got a weird one for you today, and wanted to get some opinions of the more experienced elk hunters.

I'm poised to go on my second ever elk hunt this fall. My plan is to go at it alone, and camp out in the wilderness to try and get a little separation from other hunters.

I have a friend, a non-hunter, who is really eager to come with for the adventure, but I'm torn with the idea that an extra person, and specifically a non-hunter, would be more of a help or a potential hindrance?

So...anyone ever have any non-hunters join you? Was it a good call or would you elect to go solo? My inclination is to go solo, so that any successes or failures fall onto my own shoulders. Maybe that's my answer, but this forum has a lot of good info and experienced hunters, so I wanted to ask your opinion.

Thanks!

I guess it really depends on the other guy.

If dude was in great shape and was an outdoor hiker type then I would be all for it. It also has to be someone that you know you can spend a week with alone.

Last year on my hunt it was myself, another friend with a license, and a third friend who fits your description of your friend. All three of us are very close and have backpacked together on other camping trips prior. It was great having another guy in camp and he and I hunted together the whole week with no issues. However we are good enough friends that I knew if I told him to do something different he would listen and know why, that never really came up but was good knowing. He will be going with us again this year as he likes the back country and enjoys hunting, just not pulling the trigger so much.

The other big plus was that when we were packing out an elk last year we had an extra set of legs. I would say if your friend is a good enough guy and you know how he will behave for a week in the back country I say go for it. I still hold out hope that one year my buddy will pick up the rifle and hunt as well, but if not he is always welcome in camp.

That's a tough one. You never know what someone is going to be like in a backcountry camp until you're actually there. I have had a few acquaintances that I never spoke to again (they turned out to be whiners) after I took them hunting. Other guys have become life-long friends.

If you aren't travelling a great distance and can drive separately, that might give you some flexibility. He can pack out and head home if the going gets too tough. If this is an option, make sure you are not depending on him for any equipment. I have had 2 different guys bail at the last minute and I would have been up a creek if I hadn't already planned to be self-sufficient.

I do a fair amount of solo backpacking and it is always a risk. If you get hurt and can't walk out, do you have a satellite phone/beacon? If not, having another dude there is not a bad idea. I don't have a sat phone and I accept the risk - sometimes knowing you are completely on your own is the whole point of going out.

Last edited:
It really would depend on the guy. Some of my best hunting buddies are damn near intolerable when it comes to whining. Just climbed 3 ridges and not wanting to climb the next ones...and they have tags in their pocket. There's so many nuances to elk hunting specifically that a non hunter just wouldn't know. If I was to do it I'd try to turn him into a hunter...I'd be very specific with what kind of clothes to have. Merino wool base layer in my opinion is a necessity. Having 2 guys, you have twice the scent floating around. Anything you can do to minimize that helps. I'd also try to get him to learn a call. Doesnt have to be good. but try and learn it. Anything you can do so hes not just there is going to make hunting better. You definitely don't want to waste an opportunity because 2 guys are standing there. But, you could use it to your advantage if he has a little knowledge of the situation and is 75 yards behind and calls when an animal is hung up that could be the difference between success and frustration.

If I were headed out to stalk whitetails in my home woods, here in the Adirondacks, I'd probably say no. However, elk hunting? If you can be clear about the focus of the hunt and the level of intensity/focus/effort you're talking about and they're still interested....? I'd say the meat hauling capability and company makes up for the slight reduction in stealth/efficiency.

Can he cook? Let him handle the camp duties, and help pack out your kill (if you do get one). As Cush said, this would be a great opportunity to expose/introduce him to the outdoors, and he could turn out to be a great Hunting partner. We all had our first hunt. We didn't turn out so bad.

I think folks are right to say it depends on the person. I've had non-hunters in camp and it can be a plus if it's the right person and everyone has the same expectations. Does this person want to be with you in the field? Or is he happy loafing around camp or sightseeing by himself? Some folks find elk hunting pretty dull. But if he is a great guy who loves to cook and clean and pack, welcome aboard!

I took a non-hunter... actually a vegetarian city girl, on an elk hunt 13 years ago.
Next weekend is our 12 year anniversary, with two little boys to show for it.

Careful who you take in the woods ;)

BTW, I got my elk too..

I have a non-hunting friends who keeps telling me he wants to come on my yearly western hunt. I keep telling him he's welcome to but he hasn't joined me yet. I wouldn't hesitate to take him with.

If you live near the area you are hunting, take him on a weekend scouting trip and see how he does in the same country you will be hunting. If he can keep up and spots a few elk that you might have missed, then he might prove to be a good guy to have along. If after two days he is ready to call it quits, then you didn't spend your hunting time with someone who doesn't want to be there with you. If you live out of state, then take him on a backpacking trip in a location that is similar to your hunting area and see how he does. Personalities can change when someone is pushed to their limits and it is better to find this out before you invest all your valuable hunting time and money.

If he is a good guy who can handle the hiking - another set of eyes scouting and pack out help would be welcome as far ask am concerned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Papete113
Back