Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Help Needed with OnXMaps!

PaJay 1962

OK, I ordered the chip for my Garmin. The chip came in, I downloaded Basecamp from Garmin. According to the instructions, I should be able to insert the microchip into the adapter and plug it into my computer to be able to start using the maps. I put the card into the computer, nothing happens. I then go to the Onxmaps website and find a tutuorial where it tells me to Log In, then go to My Maps and then get my code. The problem is, there is no code to see on My Maps. So, now I'm stuck.

In order to see the map, do I need to put the chip in the GPS, then plug the GPS into my computer? I'd appreciate any help people can provide, step by step please. I'm leaving for CO in days, and never thought I'd have an issue being able to load it onto my computer!

Thanks
Jay

In order to see the map, do I need to put the chip in the GPS, then plug the GPS into my computer?
YES. Open BaseCamp wait for it to show your GPS in the upper left hand tab. You should see the map # pop up also, Click on it, you should then see your map on the computer. Plug in your waypoints if any and the export them to your GPS unit.

Thanks - I was able to see the CO map on the computer and added waypoints to promising looking areas for when I get out there this week. However, when I try to view the map on my Garmin eTrex Vista HCV (about 6 years old), I see the waypoints and data for around my house. The map is definitely in the unit as I have a checkmark next to it in the "map" screen, however, why can't I see it on the GPS? Will I only be able to see it when I am actually in CO and not sitting at home in PA? I thought I should be able to see the map no matter where I am.

Jay

Don't be afraid to contact the people at OnXmaps they are great at getting back to you.

Last year I bought a chip and loaded it up on the PC marking all kinds of way-points. As I left for Colorado I put the chip in my GPS and it did not work. I sent them emails over the weekend and they went out of their way on Monday morning getting me up and running.

Thanks - I was able to see the CO map on the computer and added waypoints to promising looking areas for when I get out there this week. However, when I try to view the map on my Garmin eTrex Vista HCV (about 6 years old), I see the waypoints and data for around my house. The map is definitely in the unit as I have a checkmark next to it in the "map" screen, however, why can't I see it on the GPS? Will I only be able to see it when I am actually in CO and not sitting at home in PA? I thought I should be able to see the map no matter where I am.

Jay
You will be able to see the CO map if you can scroll all the way over there. The older GPS units had fairly slow processors and are really hard to scroll that far. You might be able to search for a point of interest and get you there. I don't know about that unit, but when I tried to scroll from my house to my moose unit 100 mi. W. I couldn't hardly get that done without losing where I was. Looking at it on the PC is the easiest way in my opinion, at least until you get out there. You can mark way points on places you want for hunt or anything else like where a trail crosses a rd. Then export them to the gps. It works really well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back