Help! Hog trap with cam and remote gate

I second Firedudes suggestion of helping to trap them. Could be work and would be fun.

Do you process the trapped hogs ( maybe just the small ones) or you just exterminate them.

Interesting for me, but it is not my problem.

I helped clean one before and it had worms in the meat. There were literal holes in the muscle tissue. The guy I was helping said he'd never seen it before, but it was too much for me to get over I guess. Most guys will process or give away the shoats but leave the nursing sows and boars to be eaten by buzzards and coyotes.

I helped clean one before and it had worms in the meat. There were literal holes in the muscle tissue. The guy I was helping said he'd never seen it before, but it was too much for me to get over I guess. Most guys will process or give away the shoats but leave the nursing sows and boars to be eaten by buzzards and coyotes.

yep. I used to eat some of the smaller ones. But after cutting into some and finding worms, spots on the lungs, etc.. i was done. If i want pork now, i go to the butcher and buy what i need or call my buddy at the stockyard and buy a domestic pig for the grill. trapping and hunting them used to be fun, but after killing hundreds and seeing what they do to our local farms, it is no longer fun, just another chore. they are a complete nuisance.

I second Firedudes suggestion of helping to trap them. Could be work and would be fun.

Do you process the trapped hogs ( maybe just the small ones) or you just exterminate them.

Interesting for me, but it is not my problem.

I'd say >90% of pigs are just fine to eat and are just as good as any other wild game. Only left 1 to rot. It was shot twice a week earlier and was already rotting on the inside while still active. Gross. Drug it out of the pasture and fed the buzzards. Heck I even took one from the woods this season that someone shot and left to rot. Meat wasn't spoiled yet and I still have some in the freezer as ground meat.

There's a lot of old wives that tell tales about wild pigs...only little ones are good to eat, only sows are good to eat, if it's a boar you have to cut his nuts off as soon as he's dead, or you have to catch him alive so you can bar him then feed him out on corn for a few weeks, have to bleed the meat out in an ice chest for a few days, have to soak the meat in water and vinegar.....you get the point.

I'm by no means an pig hunting or trapping expert but have killed enough I'm comfortable saying they should be eaten instead of purposely left to rot. Even a big boar hog. If someone doesn't want to skin them (slightly more difficult than a deer) it's not hard to find someone that will take it whole. Especially if you post it on a local fb hunting page. Never seen where someone posted "free pig" where people weren't on there way in minutes to go get it. And if your trapping let people know when you plan to set it and chances are they will be there helping you load them in their truck.

I plan to post something up when I trap them. I know you're right and a huge majority are ok but that one I cleaned really grossed me out. I know it's all in my head but I don't know if I could eat one after that. I hope they are get cleaned and used but I'm doubtful they will be.

I don't know why it posted it twice. It looks like I'm running a piggy daycare! I got the trap up today, I'm going to give them a few days to get used to it, then it's go time.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back