Yeti GOBOX Collection

Helicopter Fly-in New Zealand Tahr

NVDesertHunter

Hey everyone,

I have built up enough airline miles for a free trip to NZ. My dream hunt is a true high alpine DIY mountain hunt no matter the species. I have been on numerous DIY solo hunts in the US and a NZ tahr hunt is appealing.

My question is, in the South Island, can you still fly in without a "block permit". If so, are the "non-block" helicopter units still a decent option for tahr. Hiking in steep terrain is not a deterent but wanted to know if I would be wasting time flying into a "open" unit to hunt.

In terms of planning, I have only gotten as far as flying into Queenstown and renting a car. Any information beyond that would be extremely helpful.

thanks

Depends where you go, you won't be able to fly into most of the ballot blocks outside the ballot. But there are plenty of places you can still go. Truth be told you don't even need a chopper, I haven't done Canterbury side yet but you can hike into tahr from places there, might bump a red on the way!

I'm pretty keen to get back to hunt chamois next year myself, little bit smarter than a tahr.

The answer to your questions is yes. The area and timing of the "block permit" is small and short. By far the most of the area that hold tahr there is no restriction. The permit system is just there as for most of the year this area is wilderness which in NZ means no man made impact including no chopper landing. If you call a chopper operator they will take you to a place that has tahr. The only issues is the government in July will start a big cull but the chopper operator will probably know about the areas targeted. As Aussie_Hunter says you can walk in for tahr and this may actually be better as the cull, in theory, will focus on areas that are harder for the foot hunter to access. In summary you wont be wasting your time in an open area, its nothing like the states where a good tag means a significantly better hunt. The ballot is popular but plenty of other good areas. PM me for more specific details.

Sounds like it will be an awesome trip! Post a write-up after its done.

I'm very curious about doing this same hunt solo. Possibly next year. I am curious if you can describe a bit of the weather one would expect in March/April/May? Which month would you recommend for a balance between long hair vs good weather?

I'm very curious about doing this same hunt solo. Possibly next year. I am curious if you can describe a bit of the weather one would expect in March/April/May? Which month would you recommend for a balance between long hair vs good weather?
Later the better, I've hunted them in march and they manes weren't spectacular. Bulls I've shot in June were beautiful.

Right on, I really appreciate that. I was thinking that June might be a bit too late to try to do a solo hunt. What are your thoughts as to the conditions at that time? Can you tell us more about your hunt. That's right, give us the story!

For Tahr and chamois May is best. It’s the rut and the weather isn’t too cold or snowy. NZ is windy and wet so expect that. But the best thing you can do to prepare is get hill fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back