Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hedonic Setpoint and Hunting

2rocky

So if you are always successful hunting, and can hunt when and where you want, eventually it is going to seem passe after awhile. That's called Hedonic Setpoint.

@Big Fin How do you avoid that hunting so many hunts for so many years?

Hunting isn't a constant "high."
0 of missing your dream animal, 2 of being completely soaking wet, 1 of hungry, or exhausted, to 10 of redeeming yourself, the 8 of getting dry, 7 of appreciating that crappy dehy meal, and a 5 of a good night's rest.
This up and down of the internal reward cycle is why people who hunt often keep coming back to it. It is both complex and simple depending on what scale and terms you use. People with longterm happiness typically participate in activities with lots of highs and lows that can have a long term average incline of success with years, or even a lifetime of increasing reward. Hunting is one, golf (ug) is another, having kids, and plenty more out there.

Interesting subject, 2Rocky. I never knew the term for it, but I think about this every time I go out west for a hunting trip (once a year). I always wonder if I lived out there or did several trips a year if it would feel less “special.”

I’ve been on many hunts in several western states now, but I still get geeked out ever time I see the first antelope heading west, catch the first smell of sage, etc… but I’m fairly certain that some of that excitement would wear off quickly if I was around it all the time.

Interesting subject, 2Rocky. I never knew the term for it, but I think about this every time I go out west for a hunting trip (once a year). I always wonder if I lived out there or did several trips a year if it would feel less “special.”

I’ve been on many hunts in several western states now, but I still get geeked out ever time I see the first antelope heading west, catch the first smell of sage, etc… but I’m fairly certain that some of that excitement would wear off quickly if I was around it all the time.
I live in the west, the only thing that gets old is the first smell of sage in the spring. Sage pollen wreaks havoc on my allergies.

We fell in love with the western mountains when our kids were babies. Riddled how to give up Mother Texas incomes to live comparably. Finally realized visiting comfortably would have to do. I read somewhere the majority of lottery winners were miserable.

There’s so much variety (weather, animals, terrain, seasons) that I doubt I’ll ever get to that point living in the west. If I hunted one species - maybe; but that’s just not the case.

I don't see how it could be possible to get burned out. Especially if you hunt different area's, different species, and use different methods. I also don't relate success on killing an animal. I learn something new each hunt and many times things happen that make it more challenging, be it weather, hunting pressure, equipment failure, or even an injury. At the time it seems like bum deal, but those seem to be the hunts that I remember most, test my determination and learn the most from.

I'm going to bump this back up to the top. Particularly because after having gotten a personal best animal, but realizing that the act of hunting it was not as rewarding as some other hunts that resulted in longer hunts and smaller animals.

My particular realization was that while we try to set up our scouting so that we are in position on the first morning to be successful at first light, some level of difficulty or off script occurrence is almost expected for the experience to feel rewarding.

We fell in love with the western mountains when our kids were babies. Riddled how to give up Mother Texas incomes to live comparably. Finally realized visiting comfortably would have to do. I read somewhere the majority of lottery winners were miserable.
But the upside, it is so much easier to be miserable when you are rich.

I've paid enough misery dues enough for many lifetimes. I could tag out immediately on all my hunts from here until the day I die and it would never get old for me.

Plus I'm not gonna listen to any dude that references Dan Bilzerian for anything other than being a big dumb roid monkey.

It's why I try to make it challenging. What's the point in shooting a limit of birds before noon? Then what? Watch soap operas at the motel room? Speaking of which, it's why I always stay in the fleabag flop houses instead of Holiday Inn. Besides being cheaper (always important), the clientele are more "interesting." Will the hot water work? Are the bedsprings staying inside the mattress? Living on the edge. Yeah, bedbugs might be a less desirable outcome but truth be told, I still don't know what they look like.

I hunt out of a Jimmy that's wearing 300K miles (not kilometers). Sure, it can be a challenge keeping it running but I just look at it as another form of hunting: search and destroy whatever ails it. I shoot a couple of guns so old they'd be collectable ... if they had any parts left that hadn't worn out and been replaced a long time ago. Sure, their past glitches have cost me some game but that's fine. I don't have to clean the critters and I learn new expletives to add to my vocabulary. I prefer to hunt lousy weather, mostly for the challenge (and less problems with interference from other hunters). As a rule I prefer to hunt public land (except in South Africa where there isn't any). Though I don't like being around other hunters, I still only want to take game that's free for everyone to harvest. Nothing canned. I've shot some fine trophies but nothing over bait or called in during the rut. Stalking is more difficult (and, as far as I'm concerned, much more ethical).

One can live life in a bottle (i.e. buy a landowner tag to "hunt" a pet trophy elk) or choose to make it an adventure. Sad thing is most folks born since 1995 don't understand what adventure really is ... it's misadventure too. For them hunting is all about quick results that can be hung on the wall ... above the gamer console. I can understand how that crowd can fall into the hedonist burnout whatchamacallit category.

For me it is the people. I have shot enough animals, caught enough fish, dove enough reefs, canoed enough "untouchable" areas, etc. The thrill is not the sport, it is sharing these moment away from the grind with my kids, with my friends, with folks from HT. And every one of those experiences is new and precious. I have never been a "biggest fish" or "most antler inches" guy, so there is nothing about experiencing time outdoors with those you love that is exhausted by getting "a big one" for me.

There was a time when I loved the excitement in my young son's eyes and voice when I told him we were deer hunting the weekend. I honestly believe we have traded roles regarding deer hunting as he has far exceeded my accomplishments and achieved mentor status. He loves being with me when I take a buck...

I am delighted to see that little boy in him again every elk season though.

There was a time when I loved the excitement in my young son's eyes and voice when I told him we were deer hunting the weekend. I honestly believe we have traded roles regarding deer hunting as he has far exceeded my accomplishments and achieved mentor status. He loves being with me when I take a buck...

I am delighted to see that little boy in him again every elk season though.
This what excites me for taking and mentoring my own son.

I'm different than a lot, I enjoy the time I spend hunting solo as much, and if I'm being honest, more than hunting with others.

I never really feel like I'm able to do things 100% correctly when I'm hunting with someone else. I often feel obligated to do what they want, rather than what I want. I'm always concerned about them and their experience in some way.

As an example, some days I just want to cover country and other days I'd rather just sit somewhere and glass all day. If you're hunting with others, they may be dragging ass the day you want to cover country, they may feel like running and gunning the day you would rather not.

I like the freedom to just make all the decisions knowing they only impact me and my hunt. Grab my rifle, pack, and head out just not knowing what's going to happen as I navigate my hunt, my way. There are things that I have seen while hunting alone that I'll never share with anyone else, they're mine and I wouldn't have them if I would have been hunting with someone else.

That's not to say I don't also greatly enjoy sharing hunts and helping others, I do and I think that's pretty obvious. But, I need the balance of just doing my own thing as well once in a while.

I know people that just flat won't hunt alone, never could reconcile that in my mind, seems strange to me.

This resonates so much with me @buzz. I enjoy doing things like fishing and bird hunting with friends and Family and taking my wife and kids out for big game. But when it comes to down to the hunt itself and I’m the one with the tag, I prefer hunting solo. I put a lot of pressure on myself to help those hunting with me to be successful and have fun. When it’s just me, it’s just about the hunt and nothing else.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back