MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Headlamps for under $100

Seems like a huge waste but I will often swap out batteries right before a trip or at least at the beginning of every season, even if my headlamp is working, because I want max power. Seems trivial but trying to get back to your kill site through down timber, or down a talus slope to your camp is 5x more difficult with a crappy headlamp.
Not a waste, smart practice.

I really get surprised by what people spend sometimes. I have a couple of Energizer headlamps I got at Wal-Mart for about $25. Both have a red light if I want to use it. They are completely adequate for what I do, which always includes either a mountainous hike in or a hike out in the dark.

Agreed. There is a plethora of head lamps out there, that don't cost very much. l have used several different kinds and found little difference in any of them.

I have BD Storm as my go to, but recently picked up a Fenix HM50R multipurpose LED headlamp, I'll give it a good trial run in Sept.

I have a petzl that has been excellent for the last 6+ years and a cabelas one for the last 3 years. The petzl isn't as bright as the Cabelas one but it has been bulletproof and usually stays in my waterfowl blind bag. I'm looking to upgrade it to a higher output one this year but will keep it in my bag as a backup.

Anything by Petzl.

I have the Tactikka + 250 lumen with red light. I'm going into my third season and I'm pretty sure it's on the original batteries and runs on stock AAAs. It is an impressive light for numerous reasons. About $45 at Amazon.

I also have several of the Tikkina 150 lumen. They are equally impressive. My wife night runs with one. I headlamp that can handle a 5 mile night run without falling off or wearing out from the impact will handle any of my hunting/work needs. Amazon has these for under $20 with several color options.

I have owned both ultra cheap and expensive, but the Petzl are the sweet spot for me.

I’ve never bought a headlamp over $100. I prefer Black Diamond, waterproof models. Get something with a lock feature, I have a heck of a time with buttons getting pushed while in the pack and running batteries down.

I've never had one with a locking feature, but that would definitely be nice. I've always just turned around one of the batteries on the cheapies. And i carry two or three headlamps. Call me paranoid, but i'll never hike out through deadfall without a headlamp again.

Most of the major brands are all pretty good nowa days. I would definitely look for something that has an IPX rating of 4 or higher (Water/Dust Proof). I would also look into something that uses aaa's or is rechargeable. Here's a link to an article from a backpackers site. This guy also as some good aricles on ultra light gear/packing.

Back