Headlamp

I mostly hunt waterfowl anymore which is a middle of the night start (especially around here) requiring walks through the darkness to get to the spot, set decoys, etc. My current headlamp is a piece of ......(trash).

I'm looking for a new one.

Requirements......bright (the brighter the better), moderate battery consumption, low price ($25 or less).

Anyone have one that they like and think works well that fits the bill. Let me know? Let's hear about it.

~AO

I use one of the cat eyes led's that clips to the brim of my hat, it's light enough that I don't knock it off, that's about it's only advantage. LED's apparently last forever, and the light is enough for close up work, but if you want to look ahead to see where you want to walk, you're screwed.

I'm using a Black Diamond Supernova. Its a fairly fancy one, but is bright, has multiple settings and seems to do pretty well on batteries. I don't think they make this exact model anymore however. Some of the new ones Black Diamond makes are no doubt very similar with just a new name. The Cabela's Alaskan Guide model is very similar in design as well.

I have two headlamps. One is a Petzl w/ 3 LED that I got 3 or 4 years ago. The other is an Energizer brand w/ 2 LED I got in Wal-Mart at 4 am before a waterfowl hunt last year cuz I couldn't find my Petzl to put in my blind bag.

I have used them both and honestly can't really tell the difference between them when I have them on. I've gone entire waterfowl seasons without changing batteries in the petzl (or even noticing a dimming of the light). The only time I have changed batteries in them is before I go on longer hikes back in the woods that I dont want to be left in the dark on.

Back