PEAX Equipment

Heading to Montana

New member and east coast hunter here. Going bigger this year and heading to Montana with a general elk and deer combo tag. Plan is to hunt archery and elk as first choice with gun and mulies 2nd. I have some 'maybe' friends interested in joining but prepared to hunt solo. It would be great to find a more serious and committed hunting partner or two(local or NR) to share the planning and increase chances of success- celebrating a successful hunt is more fun too!

I grew up hunting in the NE. Took a long break but back at it for a past few years and more into it than ever. Experienced and comfortable in the wilderness and self sufficiency. A total research and preparation geek.

Planning to spend most of Sept-Oct in MT hunting a lot and catching up on work in between by renting a cabin etc but happy to plan around someone else's availability to hunt.

Ping me here or by DM. I'm also going to reach out to others that posted in this Partners section.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hello, I also drew General season tags to hunt Montana. My plan is to pack in, no atvs and chase elk with bow. I have all fall to hunt. I will go back during gun season if I do not tag out during archery. I have never been to Montana but have hunted Colorado for elk and deer many moons ago. I am currently researching areas and training with my pack. I am prepared to go it alone but would welcome the camaraderie and possible sharing of a successful hunt packing meat and all. I am located in Des Moines Iowa and will be driving there. Shoot me a response if interested in a conversation about a possible hunt.

I also drew the general big game combo tags. I'm coming from New Mexico and planning to stay most of september for the archery season. I'll be coming back from a deployment to Africa and I've got 30 plus days of leave to use for chasing elk. PM me if you're still looking for someone. I've never been to Montana and i've just been escouting as much as I can from here with this slow internet lol.

Sounds like a few of us have similar plans. I'm also planning to head to the SW. I've been researching different units and have a few potentials picked out. Now I'm starting to look more closely at specific hunt area in those and access points to narrow it down. I'll shoot you guys that wrote a DM.

For now I have a few units picked out in SW Montana. Leaning towards HD 310 right now. But with all that land available to hunt it's hard to pick somewhere.
I’m heading to 310 as well. Hunting the gallatin range. First elk hunt!!

New member and east coast hunter here. Going bigger this year and heading to Montana with a general elk and deer combo tag. Plan is to hunt archery and elk as first choice with gun and mulies 2nd. I have some 'maybe' friends interested in joining but prepared to hunt solo. It would be great to find a more serious and committed hunting partner or two(local or NR) to share the planning and increase chances of success- celebrating a successful hunt is more fun too!

I grew up hunting in the NE. Took a long break but back at it for a past few years and more into it than ever. Experienced and comfortable in the wilderness and self sufficiency. A total research and preparation geek.

Planning to spend most of Sept-Oct in MT hunting a lot and catching up on work in between by renting a cabin etc but happy to plan around someone else's availability to hunt.

Ping me here or by DM. I'm also going to reach out to others that posted in this Partners section.

Cheers
So how did u do?

Had a lot of fun, learned a ton, now hooked on elk hunting and will be going back this year and hopefully everyone after... but ate $1200 tag soup. Hunted with another newb I connected with here and we both brought a lot of research info that helped. Found elk about half the days we hunted but never got a shot.

might be looking for a hunting partner again this season if anyone is in same boat

Last edited:
Had a lot of fun, learned a ton, now hooked on elk hunting and will be going back this year and hopefully everyone after... but ate $1200 tag soup. Hunted with another newb I connected with here and we both brought a lot of research info that helped. Found elk about half the days we hunted but never got a shot.

might be looking for a hunting partner again this season if anyone wants law is in same boat
U got plans only for mt?

U got plans only for mt?
No, but my thought are this: MT, WY, ID and CO are top choices. Drawing WY w/o points is about 10% so put in for a pref point this year for future use. I have a pref point for MT and I at least know some areas so I wouldn’t be starting at ground level- and till I get my first elk that’s a huge factor. MT w/o pref points is about 50% and likely a sure thing with a point. ID and CO seem appealing but all these equal MT has an edge for me since I have some experience. A couple months till MT app is due so still some time to change it up.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back