Hawaii Any Advice for Bowhunters

Mntlongbows

My fiancee and I were discussing Hawaii as a possible honeymoon destination, both of us are traditional bowhunters and looking for best island with archery opportunities and getting away from crowds.. Any advice would be appreciated,

Hawaii is a great bowhunting destination. Its probably one of the lowest cost NR license state. I went with my wife in Feb. of 2018 for a bowhunting vacation. We stayed on Kauai for a week to vacation and then I flew to the big island to bowhunt Vancouver bulls and Polynesian hogs. One of my hunting partners is heading to Lanai for a bowhunting vacation this year.

If you want to get away from the crowds, You will like Kauai. That is the reason we chose that as the Island to vacation on. What is your desired species and time frame?

I'll be hunting on my honeymoon in Hawaii in April. I looked into every option under the sun--public, private, pigs, goats, sheep--and settled on rifle hunting axis deer on Molokai with a local guide. Best bang for the buck given the amount of time we want to spend hunting before returning to the rest of the honeymoon. 1/3 the price of the outfitters on Lanai, not sure how it'll go but I'll certainly be reporting back when the time comes. If you ask around nicely I even had a few folks offer to take me out on public for free for deer, goats, and pigs on both Lanai and Maui but logistically wasn't able to make it work.

My plans initially were to hunt public lands sheep and maybe some goats but in my research came to find that there is very little to no public sheep hunting available any more. Goats seem to be relatively easy to get after on public and the pigs are there but hard to hunt without dogs.

@glass eye is the resident expert on here. When I was doing my planning I read every post he ever made on the subject and it was helpful.

If you want any specifics send me a PM

Welcome aboard! Share pictures of your adventure

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back