Have to buy a bow

snake river rufus

Due to recurring medical problems (3 strokes in the last year or so) the medicos don't want me taking any more recoil. Looks like I'm going to be a stick thrower:rolleyes: so spill it ladies, where to buy, what to buy? I gave up archery many years ago (about the time they started putting wheels on bows) I like the looks and weight of the bowtech, is it a good bow (read that as worth the money)? And graphite arrows? what happened to ceder? I have dozen shafts comming from Cabela's and the inserts etc to make them arrows different broadheads to try. What's a good, long lasting target? ahh too many guestions.

The bowtechs are good bows--a little over priced. In my opinion the Mathews and Hoyts are top of the line. Ross also makes a nice bow. If you're hunting in cold weather buy a bow in the 50 to 60 lb. range. A 70lb. bow can be impossible to draw when you've been sitting for hours in freezing temperatures.

Try and find an archery shop and go and talk to them Have them set up a few different bows and shoot them side by side you will find one that fits you I shoot Mathews and really like them. We dont have a Bowtec dealer close but I have heard alot of good about them. Just make sure you shoot a few different models before you buy. I also shoot the block target and really love it you can shoot broadheads and field points and it has lasted me for years. I shoot Goldtip arrows Graphite there are a ton to pick from good luck I shot the Goldtip because I have a cousin that works there and he gets me good deals, lol but I really like them as well.

Wait a couple months and see what the 2008 lineups have to offer and either go with an 08 or look to pick up a deal on a leftover 07. Definitely go the pro shop route over going to a big chain store, you may pay more for some things but should get much better service and set up.

Try and find an archery shop and go and talk to them Have them set up a few different bows and shoot them side by side you will find one that fits you I shoot Mathews and really like them. We dont have a Bowtec dealer close but I have heard alot of good about them. Just make sure you shoot a few different models before you buy. I also shoot the block target and really love it you can shoot broadheads and field points and it has lasted me for years. I shoot Goldtip arrows Graphite there are a ton to pick from good luck I shot the Goldtip because I have a cousin that works there and he gets me good deals, lol but I really like them as well.

We do have a pro shop about 15 mins from my door but the guy running it really gets on my nerves- he's is like a used car salesman on speed,, maybe there is someone else in there now

The bowtechs are good bows--a little over priced. In my opinion the Mathews and Hoyts are top of the line. Ross also makes a nice bow. If you're hunting in cold weather buy a bow in the 50 to 60 lb. range. A 70lb. bow can be impossible to draw when you've been sitting for hours in freezing temperatures.

actually I'm going to have to start with a kiddies bow or a training regeime geared around archers. The strokes left me weak and a litle numb in the left arm. My 45# Peirson recurve has been out and I can get it back to full draw but I can't keep it there for long.

The strokes left me weak and a litle numb in the left arm.
First off, good luck with the rehab. Secondly, I'd get a crossbow to start hunting with while you work the bugs out of using a regular bow. Shouldn't be too hard to get a doc to write the justification.

Since you're gonna need to start very low on poundage, I'd look at the new bow by Pearson, the Pathfinder. It goes up to 28" draw which should cover you, but the nice thing is that it's designed to have interchangable limbs for draw weights from 20-60#.

If you get a bow with a wide weight range adjustment I'd set the weight to where its comfortable and just shoot. The muscles you really want to work on are the back muscles. A compound loads up the full weight in the middle part of the draw--at full draw your only holding 20 or 30 percent of the weight. If you can get your recurve all the way back set the coumpound to 40 or 45lbs and you shouldn't have a problem. Get a nice release with a good trigger and it's just like shooting a gun.

If you get a bow with a wide weight range adjustment I'd set the weight to where its comfortable and just shoot. The muscles you really want to work on are the back muscles. A compound loads up the full weight in the middle part of the draw--at full draw your only holding 20 or 30 percent of the weight. If you can get your recurve all the way back set the coumpound to 40 or 45lbs and you shouldn't have a problem. Get a nice release with a good trigger and it's just like shooting a gun.

Agreed, if you're handling a recurve at 45 you should be able to deal with a good hunting weight compound. I'd look to some of the really smooth drawing bows on the market if its a concern. The Diamond Liberty is supposed to be very smooth and the Ross line is very smooth as well. Again a good pro shop should have some recomendations for someone in your shoes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back