Has anyone hunted New Zealand?

J_Poiencot

My wife and I are planning a trip to New Zealand in 2023 and are wanting a guided Red stag and Fallow hunt. Have any of yall used a guide there that got the job done and didn't completely break the bank. I have looked at Spey Creek and have been talking with them, but want other options. Thanks for any input.

I would have to agree, that the best and most up to date information will come from those who live and work in New Zealand today. If the two mentioned do not respond to your thread you might also attempt to get information from them via pm.

I was ask to respond, but we were there over 25 years ago, so I am of no help.

When we visited we found the people to be delightful, the island's are beautiful, and the hunting AND fishing to be very good. Fishing ---both fresh and salt water was enjoyable.

I did have some friends hunt N.Z. since we were there, but this information is also a bit dated, but they said that Poronui had some excellent hunting, good guides and very nice accommodations . They said they hunted Fallow, Rosa, Sitka and Red with these folks.

They said they provided several activities for the non hunting guests as well.

I wish you the best of luck on your hunt. You will enjoy your trip, it is a beautiful . Have fun

p.s. We also enjoyed hunting the Tahr. If time and funds permit, it might be something you would enjoy as well.

Last edited:
My wife and I are planning a trip to New Zealand in 2023 and are wanting a guided Red stag and Fallow hunt. Have any of yall used a guide there that got the job done and didn't completely break the bank. I have looked at Spey Creek and have been talking with them, but want other options. Thanks for any input.
Not called Josh by any chance are you?
Cheers
Richard

I never have but want to. Are you guys going to hunt public or private? If I were to go I think i'd like to hunt free range on their public land. But, thats just me. I'm sure you'll have a great time what ever you do.

Sorry, I’m not much help. I hunt here in NZ but don’t use guides so can’t recommend anyone. FWIW I would say look at the south island for a more remote experience with better scenery.

I would have to agree, that the best and most up to date information will come from those who live and work in New Zealand today. If the two mentioned do not respond to your thread you might also attempt to get information from them via pm.

I was ask to respond, but we were there over 25 years ago, so I am of no help.

When we visited we found the people to be delightful, the island's are beautiful, and the hunting AND fishing to be very good. Fishing ---both fresh and salt water was enjoyable.

I did have some friends hunt N.Z. since we were there, but this information is also a bit dated, but they said that Poronui had some excellent hunting, good guides and very nice accommodations . They said they hunted Fallow, Rosa, Sitka and Red with these folks.

They said they provided several activities for the non hunting guests as well.

I wish you the best of luck on your hunt. You will enjoy your trip, it is a beautiful . Have fun

p.s. We also enjoyed hunting the Tahr. If time and funds permit, it might be something you would enjoy as well.

Thank you for all of the info. I would also like Tahr, not sure if funds will permit for that though. My wife and I are both hunting, so no nonhunting guest.

I hunted the South Island of New Zealand in 2014 with Gary Herbert. Gary has a beautiful lodge, friendly and competent staff, and great guides. He also offers various day trips and activities for non hunters. I hunted Red Deer, Fallow Deer, Tahr, Chamois, Arapawa Ram, and did a night shoot on Wallabies. Another thing that I liked about Gary's operation is that the areas that he hunts Red Stags are VERY large, and all stags in each area are the same price.

After my week hunt with Gary, my GF and I rented a car and spent another week + touring the Island. I took my own rifle to NZ and I didn't have any problems bringing it into the country, but NZ has some very strict firearms laws (like you can't leave a gun in your car if you're not in the car, like eating in a restaurant), and Gary was very gracious in keeping my rifle in his safe while we toured the Island.

I hunted the South Island of New Zealand in 2014 with Gary Herbert. Gary has a beautiful lodge, friendly and competent staff, and great guides. He also offers various day trips and activities for non hunters. I hunted Red Deer, Fallow Deer, Tahr, Chamois, Arapawa Ram, and did a night shoot on Wallabies. Another thing that I liked about Gary's operation is that the areas that he hunts Red Stags are VERY large, and all stags in each area are the same price.

After my week hunt with Gary, my GF and I rented a car and spent another week + touring the Island. I took my own rifle to NZ and I didn't have any problems bringing it into the country, but NZ has some very strict firearms laws (like you can't leave a gun in your car if you're not in the car, like eating in a restaurant), and Gary was very gracious in keeping my rifle in his safe while we toured the Island.
What outfit? How do I get in contact with him? Thanks for all the info!

I did a trip in 2012 for tahr and chamois.

Just found the guy's website, looks like he is still operating.
Before I recommend him, perhaps a PM conversation regarding a few things would be the right thing to do.

He was very affordable and came through on everything he said he would do, just had some quirks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back