Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Handloading with Lead Free Bullets

So far it has been going good for me. I'm just tweaking my powder recipe to get the best accuracy, right now I'm at 0.8" center to center groups, but I think I can get that lower with tweaking. I never had my lead that close to the lands so it has worked out fairly easy with copper bullets, I just seat them the same.

Reloading non-lead bullets are fairly similar to loading lead. As people have stated, follow the manual and try different powders, primers, bullets until you find the right accuracy.

The major difference is having non-lead bullets seated off the lands. Most lead bullets prefer to be close to the lands. Seating non-lead bullets on the lands will drastically increase chamber pressure and can cause problems.

About how far off the lands is everyone starting with their mono bullet loads?

For traditional style lead core bullets (Sierra MK, TMK, Nosler BT, AB, and PT, Hornady ELD-X,...) I normally start about 0.020" off the lands (if it is going to fit in the mag.) and adjust from there, AFTER finding an approx. powder charge I'll be using.

About how far off the lands is everyone starting with their mono bullet loads?

For traditional style lead core bullets (Sierra MK, TMK, Nosler BT, AB, and PT, Hornady ELD-X,...) I normally start about 0.020" off the lands (if it is going to fit in the mag.) and adjust from there, AFTER finding an approx. powder charge I'll be using.
I start at .050” with Barnes and .025” with Hammers, but that advice is probably worth what you paid for it.

I switched to non lead a couple years ago and have been more than impressed with performance. Like has already been said pay attention to load data by bullet manufacturers and watch for signs of high pressure. As far as brand I am a Nosler fan but E tips were hard for me to come by so I use Barnes TTSX. I have made all sorts of shots on game from over 300 to less than 80 wide open spaces and thick brush and bullet performance and accuracy have been excellent. My go to is my .308 TTSX 150GR 44GR Varget.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back