Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Hand and mouth call recommendations for desert Coyotes?

0uTkAsT

I want to dip my toes into coyote hunting without investing in a Fox Pro right out of the gate, so I'm hoping for hand and/or mouth call recommendations from those with experience here. I'm willing to try a few different ones but there's just so many out there it's a bit overwhelming.

I'm in central AZ if that matters... I'm sure typical prey varies somewhat by region but how much that may or may not matter, I have no idea.

You can get a lower end E calls for the same price of a few good mouth calls.
Like this casscreek $39
You can use your cell phone too.
BUT here is my spin.
Whatever you get I would shy away from "Food" calls if you're calling public land with any kind of hunting pressure.
Most of the dogs this time of year have heard all of them and associate them with hunters.
I almost always use coyote sounds, Pup in distress even this time of year is one of my "GO TO" sounds.
Any challenge call or location calls are good. Most Female calls work on both sexes also.
Just my 2 cents.
Being able to sit still will help you the most and be patient keep trying different spots and sounds sooner or later you will have one come in.

I like to keep it simple and I've never really wanted an E-caller so I stick to mouth calls.

Sceery hoarse cottontail call is a good one. I really like it and it's simple to use.
Mouse squeaker - I use a simple bulb squeaker you just squeeze. I really like it and it's very effective. If it's not too windy they can hear it 100-200 yards away and it brings them on a string once I've gotten them to that point by using the cottontail call.
Coyote Howler - I can't think of the name of mine right off the top of my head and it's out in the pickup. It's an open reed call that is pretty easy to use and gets coyotes to call back to you. It works to help locate coyotes so I have an idea where to set up.

Sounds like you may be in bobcat country. They really like busy sounds bird distress is great. 45 minutes on one stand is not too long for bobcat they’re independent jerks like house cats and will sit and watch a lot of times before committing. Good luck

Whatever you get I would shy away from "Food" calls if you're calling public land with any kind of hunting pressure.
I wouldn’t shy away from all “food” calls. Most people use some kind of rabbit distress which then I would agree with you. I have hunted some very over called and heavily pressured areas with much success. Be different, utilize bird sounds, fawn, pig, chicken distress, squirrel, even use off the wall calls like baby kittens, Turkey distress, etc.

I've tried a lot of different mouth calls for coyotes. My favorite was one I made. I left to go hunting for coyotes but realized I grabbed the wrong lanyard. It was my waterfowl one. I was already at my first spot. Then I got to thinking, maybe I could use my duck call. I had a nice one I wasn't going to pull apart and my very first duck call ($10 walmart special) that I had on the lanyard more as a keep sake than to actually use for ducks. I pulled the reed end out of the barrel. Looks just like my open reed coyote call. Took a little figuring to get the sound right and called a coyote in. Next trip I had my coyote calls and after a few stands had nothing. Then I noticed in my pocket I had my duck call from the previous trip. Next stand I had a coyote. Now its all I use. Its the same duck call I bought 21 years ago when I was 12. I do have a second call. Its another walmart special duck call that I trimmed the reed on to make it a little more high pitched. I don't think its the sound from the call exactly that gets the coyote to come in. I think the reason my duck call works so well is because its a different sound they haven't heard from a hunter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back