Grousse with a bow

peterk1234

What is the preferred "broadhead"? Judo, or something else? Are you going for the head or just go the safe route and hit the body?

I was wondering if the bludgeon types are more effective.

In theory though the judos shouldn't go as far if there is a miss because it should catch pub a twig or grass, correct? Not that I plan to miss, haha.

With a recurve, I haven’t noticed much difference between judo points and bludgeon points stopping in grass. I have stuck judo points in logs/tree trunks/etc.

With the increased speed of a compound, the bludgeon points skip more and judo points can be pretty tough to remove from logs/tree trunks.

I have had the thought of gluing a 38 spl case to the end of an arrow to act as a blunt.

Anyone try this?

I have arrows with a lot of shots and worn out feathers.

This would be from a recurve.

I tear up the judo points, and they tear up the meat- best off aiming for the base of the neck.

Currently looking for a better option for the compound. Maybe I need to carry a slingshot?

I have had the thought of gluing a 38 spl case to the end of an arrow to act as a blunt.

Anyone try this?

I have arrows with a lot of shots and worn out feathers.

This would be from a recurve.
I have a neighbor that used spent pistol brass. He said they worked fine on old arrows. If lost or broken, no biggee.

Poor mans judo tips: use practice tips and drill a few forward facing angled holes offset from each other and put in Brad nails.Or you can use 16 gauge finish nails etc. as long as it works with what diameter hole you drill.

Shot one last night with an Allen Thrasher which was just what I could easily find on Amazon. It was darn fun. I see a lot of grouse hunting with my bow in my future.

I ran into a real booner blue grouse with bow in hand on Saturday. Flung the first judo pointed arrow high over its head. Went to retrieve it and shot high again. Despite the judo point, it still buried itself someplace deep. While searching for the arrow the grouse quietly slipped away. It lives another day and I’m down an arrow and a bit of my pride.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back