Grouse

OK, now the 15-pound gorilla of the grouse family.
ggg.webp

I love to hunt Sage grouse, eating is a different matter.
I swear on the breast they have a BF Goodrich stamp.
I think the young sage grouse are good. Haven't tried eating a mature one though.

I'm a newfound grouse fanatic. Possibly worse than @Big Fin. I choose my elk hunting locales based on how prevalent the grouse should be in the area- I won't hunt the breaks, but opt for steep country with Douglas fir instead. Arrows lost, bugling elk ignored, trucks left running with the doors open- all to chase a grouse. My one regret about not buying a home is that it means I can't get a bird dog to help me chase them more effectively.

But I still can't find blue grouse. Ruffed grouse, sharpies, spruce/Franklin- all over the place when I hunt, all season long. But even with all of my hiking, fishing, and hunting, I can't seem to find a blue grouse to save my life in any season. It's driving me insane. Any tips from those of you in the know?

I'm no pro but the one thing I have noticed (and have heard from others), at least here on the Oregon coast, is that the Blue's tend to favor the higher elevations than the Ruffed. Good luck!

Those are blues - or duskys as they want to call them now. Limit of 4 is not that tough in good years.

I've killed a few ruffs in Idaho but not in the Sawtooths.

The bigger question - Do I have enough dog?

Nevermind - just saw the ruff pic on the barrel. I say it's taxidermy.

I’ve encountered ruffies in an undisclosed mountain range in an undisclosed state that have very little fear of humans. This photo is very believable to me.
Ruffies have little fear of humans in most areas where they do not see much hunting pressure.
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back