Grouse! Let’s See Them

Went on a little scouting mission for a new sage grouse area. Found some - I’ll go visit them again in a month with a gun in hand.
I see a decent amount of sage grouse and I nearly always do a double take at how big they are. The one on the left in your pic could pass for a hen Turkey.

10 days from now I’ll be at grouse camp. Only the dog is more excited. Hoping temps slide a little lower as it gets pretty rough on all involved when it’s 75-80

I see a decent amount of sage grouse and I nearly always do a double take at how big they are. The one on the left in your pic could pass for a hen Turkey.

10 days from now I’ll be at grouse camp. Only the dog is more excited. Hoping temps slide a little lower as it gets pretty rough on all involved when it’s 75-80

I completely agree! I ran into 50+ birds today, plenty of first year birds. But, I did find some adults - the 747’s of the sage!

Saw a flock of at least 10 and one with 3 this past week. Looking good this year

Projected temps low 90’s for MT opener. 72 by 9AM. Hard to justify the drive for only hunting the first two hours of daylight.

Trip out east for sage grouse was a little disappointing. We found some sage grouse, but could never get into gun range before they flushed. However, I did finally shoot my first bird (a sharpie) over my GWP, so that was a good silver lining. Ended up coming home with two sharpies, two Huns, and a cottontail for 4 days of hunting. I’m calling it a learning experience and we’ll be ready to roll next year. Now it’s onto mountain grouse.IMG_0808.jpegIMG_4985.jpeg

Seems like an excellent year for grouse. Had the opportunity to bring a co-worker out after work. We hit a double limit after a few hours. Got some nice dog work from my Drahthaar.

Just found out there was a bear attack in this area the other day. Waiting to hear the details, but sounds like a potential fatality. Be safe out there!IMG_6479.jpegIMG_6490.jpegIMG_6493.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back