Grizz kills 2 in Banff w/ update

Interesting that they set out after the GPS alert. Arrived while still dark ?? Not something I’d want to do but glad they did it JIC someone was still alive and in need of medical help.
Agreed about the dog probably started it.

Here's a pretty good breakdown of what happened. Tim Treadwell had a similar fate, death by old, malnourished bear. It really makes an argument for hunting grizzlies, thinning them out before they get to an age where they are more likely to prey on humans as a last resort. I'd like to hear a biologists take on it.

That's a sad deal. Did everything right and were experienced, but it can still happen to anyone. Hard to imagine dealing with a grizzly bear attack that starts off with you stuck in a tent with your boots off.

they euthanized the bear because it showed signs of aggression. They show aggression when you are in their space. Or they just get bored with you like that moron who lived with them in Alaska in his bus. Pretty sure one day bears just woke and said " Kinda bored with this guy", and they ate him.

Does not sound like they were armed with more than bear spray? If thats the case, that was the fatal mistake. Bear spray was discharged. But then what? Bear is in your camp with your gear, alive and well, temporarily pissed off and hungry, you have no boots and are in bed clothes, no sleeping bag pack or gear. Cant run into the night and cold. Only option was killing the bear themselves, doesnt sound like they had that choice. Sad way to go and preventable. 25 year old bear was old and malnourished, picked easy targets.

they euthanized the bear because it showed signs of aggression. They show aggression when you are in their space. Or they just get bored with you like that moron who lived with them in Alaska in his bus. Pretty sure one day bears just woke and said " Kinda bored with this guy", and they ate him.

Unless we're talking about different bus hippies, Chris McCandless wasn't eaten by a bear. Did Timothy Treadwell live in a bus too? How many Alaskan bus dwellers have been killed by bears? But I digress..

Does not sound like they were armed with more than bear spray? If thats the case, that was the fatal mistake. Bear spray was discharged. But then what? Bear is in your camp with your gear, alive and well, temporarily pissed off and hungry, you have no boots and are in bed clothes, no sleeping bag pack or gear. Cant run into the night and cold. Only option was killing the bear themselves, doesnt sound like they had that choice. Sad way to go and preventable. 25 year old bear was old and malnourished, picked easy targets.

Banff is a National Park. In Canada it is illegal to have a firearm in a National Park.

Veteran hikers who by the sounds of it took all the right precautions. I've hear reports that they had two cans of bear spray, one of which was completely empty. Old bear with low body fat this time of year mixed with wrong time wrong place.

I'm a firearm side of the aisle, but there was a story recently of a grizz attack averted by bear spray, maybe on this case they didn't hit the bear with the spray? Like I said, imma carry a shotgun in grizz country, but it's definitely a personal choice, both have pros/cons.

Banff is a National Park. In Canada it is illegal to have a firearm in a National Park.

Veteran hikers who by the sounds of it took all the right precautions. I've hear reports that they had two cans of bear spray, one of which was completely empty. Old bear with low body fat this time of year mixed with wrong time wrong place.

Exactly. Based on the restrictions imposed upon them, I don't know what else they could have done differently. It's not as simple as "should have packed a gun"

Yup thats the problem right there. Death was preventable and the government took away their ability to protect themselves. Only question would be if they would have wanted to be armed. The saying goes "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6".

That's an awful way to die.

I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to bring a form of personal protection along. It's not like you're hunting. But it doesn't really matter at this point. I wouldn't be out there backpacking in grizz country without a gun though. It's sad that guns aren't allowed until SAR is going in for what turned out to be body recoveries. Then they can bring a gun in.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back