Great Weekend

Very well done by all!! Great video! I think I'm going to ask Santa for a video setup for this very thing. Mind if I ask what you're using and how you have it set up in the stand?

Very well done by all!! Great video! I think I'm going to ask Santa for a video setup for this very thing. Mind if I ask what you're using and how you have it set up in the stand?

I am running a Canon G20. It is about 6 years old you can pick up some older used ones now for affordable. They only have 10x zoom but I hunt mostly timber so it is all you need. The G30 are a little nicer and I think have 20x zoom (if I hunted more open fields I would want this). For what I do I cant see spending more money. The G20 suits me fine until it breaks. The G20 can take up to Two (2) 32 G SD cards. You can record on both or record on 1 and roll to the other. I don't dual record but I probably should because 1 card holds a lot of video.

Muddy Outfitter Camera Arm. This is a great arm but it is bulky. If I was buying again I would look at the 4th arrow arms. They make a carbon one saves weight but most of all the bases are smaller and easier to pack the bases are also really cheap so you can mount them in several stands and have less to carry this may be an off season upgrade.

Rode Video mic. You have to get a micro shoe adapter to fit on top of the camera. In my opinion you can save money and not get this if you just want to video like I do. A lot of times I don't use it. For guys doing more production stuff then it is kind of a must. Also for guys doing more production stuff guys will run wireless mics on them. My camera doesn't have this option.

VariZoom Stealth LANC Controller this is 100% of must. You have to start with a camera that has a LANC controller and then purchase one of these or something similar.

Velbon PH-368 Fluid head. This kind of sucks and I may be upgrading but it is serviceable.

Extended Run Battery. I am don't remember which one I have but I don't think I once used the standard battery. I bought the 8 hour run one and I used it, note I bet only get 3-4 hours tops on it. I can normally make it through a 2 days without recharging depending on how much actual video I am taking. I leave the camera off until I see a deer. Most times I am ok but a few times I have gotten screwed on deer burning in. It takes a few seconds for the camera to turn on and then a few more for it to read the card to start filming. If I had extra batteries I would just leave it on the entire time.

I am right handed. When I am self filming I have the camera between waist height and armpit while sitting. (I sit more than I stand when I hunt). I like it on the right because I can flip the view finder flush with the camera and then see it. With the thumb remote I can turn the camera on/off, start/stop recording and focus all with my right hand. You can track the deer with your right hand and then when it is time to shoot clip release and go. I use a hook release and I can get it on the D-loop pretty quick. I have toyed with going with a thumb release that stays clamped on the D-Loop.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back