Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Great spot and stalk to 27 yards

You are living the dream Brock!

Good on your buddy. That bull is young - not even a gut on him yet. After seeing some of the WA bulls killed the last few years I have no doubt you guys will be posting pictures of a bigger bull. Cant wait to see them.

So elk can't stand clearcuts or roads.... Hmmm.

Elk can't stand too many tags and the pressure it brings.

Awesome video.

What kind of boots are you wearing?

You are living the dream Brock!

Good on your buddy. That bull is young - not even a gut on him yet. After seeing some of the WA bulls killed the last few years I have no doubt you guys will be posting pictures of a bigger bull. Cant wait to see them.

So elk can't stand clearcuts or roads.... Hmmm.

Elk can't stand too many tags and the pressure it brings.

Awesome video.

What kind of boots are you wearing?

Thanks! I am wearing some Rimrok Stalkers. A buddy of mine from Idaho, Travis Nowtony just started making/selling them. They are pretty awesome.

http://www.rimrok.com/

Just a little background on this. We just woke up from a midday nap and were overlooking the cut when this bull walked out. About 500 yards below us. I threw my spotter up and said yeah hes a potential shooter. We slipped the stalkers on and walked in the ditch line down to about 150 yards above him and his cows. We then started down through the crap and when we got to about 80 yards away I stopped and Trav went the rest of the way by himself (quieter). When he got the edge of the bench, he peeked over with his binos and watched him for a minute, looked back to me and signaled 5x6. Travis and I have been friends all our lives. We are 27 now. We took hunter safety together when we were 9. We have ALOT of hunts together. At that point I knew he was going to pass. I could see his shit eating grin through my binos. He waved me down there. So thats when I turned the camera on and stalked in there myself. When I looked over the edge, I actually used the bulls rack to get the range...

I just looked at Trav and shook my head. I said "can you believe we are hunting a tag where that bull gets a pass..." Anyway we have been hunting our butts off. We have some good bulls on trail camera that we are going after. We have called in small bulls every day so far. But the rut activity is just starting to pick up so hopefully some of the bigger boys come out! This morning was the 13th consecutive day of being in the unit (scouting/hunting). I know it will pay off!

Good luck great video. I dont think I could of passed him. Missed him maybe but not passed. :p

How I so love trying to cross a clear cut in the great NW, what a tangled mess of crap ! Nice Bull buy the way. Those clear cuts always look so flat and clear from a distance, till your in one and then it's like WTF !!

Last edited:
Short update. I had to come back to work today unfortunately, but Trav is still after them. We have been close to sealing the deal a few times but just not quite the right opportunity. As the hunt winds down Trav has lowered his standards a little, haha! We saw this 5x6 yesterday but couldn't get on him in time before he hit the timber. We have him patterned pretty well so hopefully he can make it happen. The hunt ends Thursday and I asked Trav is he regretted not shooting that bull on opening day at 27 yards. He replied "absolutely not". We have hunted our asses off for the last 9 days and had some of the most incredible elk encounters. None of that would have happened if he tagged out opening day. I am headed back up this afternoon so hopefully I will have some more to share.

Here is a picture of another bull that was a potential. Unfortuntely we never could get on this bull in time. Since we saw him we haven't been back to this area.

Here is the bull Trav was able to kill. Its not at big as that 5x6 he passed on but it was still an awesome hunt and a great elk. He has a 51" spread on him. He was able to sneak in and shoot him at 10 yards frontal, then the bull ran out and stopped at 30 and Trav was able to pin wheel him. The bull died within 20 seconds.

Sorry for the crappy quality pictures. It was pretty dark and I didn't have my tripod.

Seriously!?

With those bladed 4ths, good front end and huge width?

Got to hunt extra days.

I think he shot the right bull.

Well done you two!!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back