Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Gratuitous Fish and River Photos

Pretty cool Bambi. Looks like good times, so long as you don't fall in.
How do you go about catching the fish....yeah, I am clueless.
We use those big landing nets more or less and strain the water. Some days it's very few fish and a lot of work, others it's bonkers. It is also very dependent on where you place the net. I was fishing 6 feet away from my wife, and she out fished me 10:1. It's all about the back eddy and hydraulics of the water. It's a lot of work to be honest. My shoulders are sore for a week. The river was running about 200,000 cfs that day, were fishing a 3' diameter net in a river that is easily 30ft deep and 150 yards wide. Daily fish counts were in the 15000 per day range so maybe 4-500 swimming up river per hour. They tend to swim along the shore but the shore is a mess of cliffs, hydraulics eddys and silt water with zero visibility.

Last edited:
I’m fishing in Minnesota with my family, and my kids told me you have to have bait to catch fish. Challenge accepted. So I pulled out the fly rod, let them pick the fly (bumblebee of course), and started catching sunnies off the dock. Their minds were blown. Felt pretty awesome until my oldest goes, “Dad you’re like the best fly fisher in our whole house. But…You’re the only one.” 😆🤦‍♂️ Yup, point made, nailed it🤣
D6464521-23E5-44DB-A205-F28855D27F81.jpeg

We use those big landing nets more or less and strain the water. Some days it's very few fish and a lot of work, others it's bonkers. It is also very dependent on where you place the net. I was fishing 6 feet away from my wife, and she out fished me 10:1. It's all about the back eddy and hydraulics of the water. It's a lot of work to be honest. My shoulders are sore for a week. The river was running about 200,000 cfs that day, were fishing a 3' diameter net in a river that is easily 30ft deep and 150 yards wide. Daily fish counts were in the 15000 per day range so maybe 4-500 swimming up river per hour. They tend to swim along the shore but the shore is a mess of cliffs, hydraulics eddys and silt water with zero visibility.

Thanks for the explanation.
Looks like the two of you enjoy the annual ritual.

I’m fishing in Minnesota with my family, and my kids told me you have to have bait to catch fish. Challenge accepted. So I pulled out the fly rod, let them pick the fly (bumblebee of course), and started catching sunnies off the dock. Their minds were blown. Felt pretty awesome until my oldest goes, “Dad you’re like the best fly fisher in our whole house. But…You’re the only one.” 😆🤦‍♂️ Yup, point made, nailed it🤣
View attachment 228955
That isn't a sunnie...beautiful bluegill though.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back