Grandpa's Gun

Great family history. I have used my grandfather's Winchester model 54 .270 to take a couple mule deer. The rifle was purchased by him in the late 1920's.

Cool story.

I used my grandpa's gun last weekend in WI. He passed when I was a 2 months old. But, my uncle gave me that rifle last year. It's a Remington M740, in 30-06 of course...like all the other hunters on the Iron Range, MN had back then. :) I was not successfull on scoring a deer with it. But it was fun to carry. I even threw on the red/black checkered wool coat.

When I was a lad starting hunting I was passed down an Iver Johnson's Champion, 12 ga. single barrel, hammer shotgun. It was my grandfather's uncle's gun from the 20's. It remains the only shotgun in my safe.

That kid's got some start on hunting! My grandpa is the reason I hunt, he had a matched set of bolt action .22s waiting for my brother and I to get old enough but he died when I was 4 and my mom wouldn't let me shot it yet then so I never got to shoot it with him. Also ended up with his 20 gauge and his Model 1903 .30-06, which I have used to harvest every big game animal I've killed with a rifle. As I understand it the 06 was used in the Korean war, but my grandpa was an airplane mechanic there so he wasn't using it.

I have the 22 that I learned to shoot with that was my grandpa's. I try to take it out every year and do some squirrel hunting.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back