Grand Mesa Questions

jyoung1901

This year will be my second year Elk hunting. I went last year to Montana and I am HOOKED. After entering in Colorado's DAU 2018 post hunt estimates into a spreadsheet, narrowing them down by several factors (herd estimates/size/public land %, success rates, etc), pouring over GoHunt for about 30 OTC units. I Narrowed it down to 25/26 and 41/411/52/421 (grand mesa area). Once I did that I began E-scouting on GE and did some forum research just to get a feel for what people say about those units (pressure, access, terrain, etc) to help me make the final decision. I Finally settled on the Grand Mesa area for our September archery elk hunt. We'll be leaving on the 18th and coming back to TN on the 26th.

Grand Mesa is very different from my usual E-scouting I feel because of the giant anomoly in the middle of it (the actual mesa) so very few north facing slopes, water everywhere, huge parks on top of the mesa, etc. So I relied heavily on the Colorado ARCgis map and used it to give me some starting points based on ranges/migration Routes/etc combined with GoHunt advice and OnX roadless areas and have come up with Options A, B, C, D. Most of them not being actually on the Mesa.

So I say all of that backstory to hopefully separate myself from the usual "hey im going to this unit where should i go" posts by showing all of the effort and research put into it. I have a few specific questions below that are general in nature (if that makes sense). I also will be calling the biologist for that area at some point this summer when time gets a little closer and asking them specific questions.

1. Hiking on and off the Mesa: Based on Elevation profile on GE and just visually it seems like on the Lands end finger of the mesa, there may be edges that you can hike down besides Indian point at the end? Obviously it wont be fun hiking back up but if we were to park on top of the mesa and use the network of roads to be mobile as we move down our options list. Is this ridiculous or is it doable?

2. Roads on the Mesa: Based on the fact that hwy. 65 is a paved road that goes up onto the mesa and then a network of forest roads/trails off of that. I am assuming that since they are pretty flat on top of the mesa that I should have no problem with a 4x4 f150 on 35" a/t tires? Is that assumption correct or should I still get chains just in case.

3. Glassing / Calling: Obviously the mesa has a lot of open space, but I was curious if glassing off of the mesa down below is effective at all? There look to be a few clearings and such but on GE I cant differentiate low oak brush from taller trees. Just curious if using the mesa as a "peak" to glass/call from is a dumb idea or if it could be viable.

4. Pressure Expectations: Obviously its Colorado, so there will be a lot of hunters. However, is most of the pressure coming from guys hunting the top of the mesa because its easy and flat? If we put in the miles off the mesa are we likely to be able to not be bumping into people left and right?

Thanks in Advance! And if anyone is familiar with the unit and is willing to share any additional knowledge or tell me if my areas i'm looking at and options are totally in left field and nowhere near elk, I definitely would be appreciative for the opportunity to PM them.

Bring bug spray or a thermacell. The mosquitoes can be horrible. There are a lot of 4wheeler trails on the Mesa. Buy a bear tag. Good luck.

Thanks! I was wondering about bugs at the end of September. Im guessing if it drops temp a couple of times bugs wont be as bad but if its a mild September they will be awful? And yes i will be adding on a bear tag.

Thanks!

18th to 26th? From TN?

That doesnt leave any time to hunt.

18th to 26th? From TN?

That doesnt leave any time to hunt.

My bad, 18 returning 27th. I agree more would be better, but we make the most of it. We did the same last year in Montana, we'll drive straight through and get there on the 19th and then leave Saturday night the 26th returning to TN the 27th. So itll give us 7 full days in the woods. We may do more if people can swing more time off work. But its better than 6 days NOT elk hunting :)

I've not had bug issues but I hunted the last week of the season. Lots of OHV use on the Grand Mesa. Pretty hard to get away from roads that allow vehicular travel in one form or the other. I've found things to be pretty thick on most of the slopes. You can find areas to glass but lots of the areas you just can't see into. I didn't run into many people while actually hunting but I saw plenty camped and using the roads. I liked hunting there. Great terrain and some of the nicest country in the state to spend September in.

I've not had bug issues but I hunted the last week of the season. Lots of OHV use on the Grand Mesa. Pretty hard to get away from roads that allow vehicular travel in one form or the other. I've found things to be pretty thick on most of the slopes. You can find areas to glass but lots of the areas you just can't see into. I didn't run into many people while actually hunting but I saw plenty camped and using the roads. I liked hunting there. Great terrain and some of the nicest country in the state to spend September in.
I agree with @rideold. I'll second that you should bring an ATV. Lots of trails and the FS roads aren't the best. You could probabaly make better time on an ATV. I was in the area last fall bear hunting. Send me a PM with specific questions if you want.

If ya haven't had a big issue on the Mesa, you haven't been there in July ;)
I live 35 minutes from the top and get up there plenty. The poster is going late September and won’t have the same kind of problems as someone who visits in July will. A horse of a different color.

In sept the top, and bottoms look like dirt track racing conventions.

Archery
Muzzleloader Elk
Rifle Bear

Are all open at the same time.

Not to mention all the bicyclists, leaf peepers, fishermen, and day hikers.

All the roads and trails will have a fair amount of traffic and not just hunters. You'll run into people if you're close to a trail of any kind, top to bottom. But, you can also run into elk close to the trails too. Just get used to company. Many of the dirt roads are better suited for atvs than trucks so an ATV would be handy. USFS has pretty good travel management maps to show off what's what. I wouldn't trust a digital mapper to tell you what sort of vehicle a road is open to. I'm a huge Onx fan, but they're not always 100% accurate.

September weather usually isn't bad, it can get wet but rarely dumps a pile of snow. The only time I've needed chains on the mesa is after September in the snow. Most of the roads are pretty rocky rather than muddy, they'll take miles off your tires for sure. Beware walking across lava rock, even the big ones can be loose.

Definitely pick up a bear tag.

It's surprisingly thick and difficult to glass, especially when all the leaves are still on. There are definitely open pockets where you may catch sight of elk but the thick stuff is best for calling or still hunting.

Bugs should be less by September but you never know.

Good luck. Holler if you get into a pickle and need a point of contact, I live in Mesa County.

Reactions: JDH
I did my first elk hunt on the mesa two years ago, gmu 41. We did 3rd rifle on our own and packed up from the bottom. Spent 10 days living there, and had a couple of run ins with bears and cougars. Ran into elk a few times, made stupid elk rookie mistakes and came back empty. My takeaways, have a bear tag, glassing was next to impossible where we were at, it can get damn cold in November, a horse would have been awesome, get a muley tag too they're everywhere, can't hunt elk like Indiana deer. Best of luck!

I can see the Grand Mesa from my house, and I would hunt a different area. To busy for me, it gets alot of activity. I think you'll have a better hunt in the flattops units you mentioned, but I don't believe those are otc. I just have never really seen alot of elk up there. If you got your heart set on it, I would concentrate on the far north areas of 42/421, and hunt as far down toward the private land line as you can get. This will involve packing in down hill, and packing out, with an elk hopefully, uphill. I used to hike that country quite a bit when I lived in grand junction, and I always saw more bears than elk. Big ones too.

This year will be my second year Elk hunting. I went last year to Montana and I am HOOKED. After entering in Colorado's DAU 2018 post hunt estimates into a spreadsheet, narrowing them down by several factors (herd estimates/size/public land %, success rates, etc), pouring over GoHunt for about 30 OTC units. I Narrowed it down to 25/26 and 41/411/52/421 (grand mesa area). Once I did that I began E-scouting on GE and did some forum research just to get a feel for what people say about those units (pressure, access, terrain, etc) to help me make the final decision. I Finally settled on the Grand Mesa area for our September archery elk hunt. We'll be leaving on the 18th and coming back to TN on the 26th.

Grand Mesa is very different from my usual E-scouting I feel because of the giant anomoly in the middle of it (the actual mesa) so very few north facing slopes, water everywhere, huge parks on top of the mesa, etc. So I relied heavily on the Colorado ARCgis map and used it to give me some starting points based on ranges/migration Routes/etc combined with GoHunt advice and OnX roadless areas and have come up with Options A, B, C, D. Most of them not being actually on the Mesa.

So I say all of that backstory to hopefully separate myself from the usual "hey im going to this unit where should i go" posts by showing all of the effort and research put into it. I have a few specific questions below that are general in nature (if that makes sense). I also will be calling the biologist for that area at some point this summer when time gets a little closer and asking them specific questions.

1. Hiking on and off the Mesa: Based on Elevation profile on GE and just visually it seems like on the Lands end finger of the mesa, there may be edges that you can hike down besides Indian point at the end? Obviously it wont be fun hiking back up but if we were to park on top of the mesa and use the network of roads to be mobile as we move down our options list. Is this ridiculous or is it doable?

2. Roads on the Mesa: Based on the fact that hwy. 65 is a paved road that goes up onto the mesa and then a network of forest roads/trails off of that. I am assuming that since they are pretty flat on top of the mesa that I should have no problem with a 4x4 f150 on 35" a/t tires? Is that assumption correct or should I still get chains just in case.

3. Glassing / Calling: Obviously the mesa has a lot of open space, but I was curious if glassing off of the mesa down below is effective at all? There look to be a few clearings and such but on GE I cant differentiate low oak brush from taller trees. Just curious if using the mesa as a "peak" to glass/call from is a dumb idea or if it could be viable.

4. Pressure Expectations: Obviously its Colorado, so there will be a lot of hunters. However, is most of the pressure coming from guys hunting the top of the mesa because its easy and flat? If we put in the miles off the mesa are we likely to be able to not be bumping into people left and right?

Thanks in Advance! And if anyone is familiar with the unit and is willing to share any additional knowledge or tell me if my areas i'm looking at and options are totally in left field and nowhere near elk, I definitely would be appreciative for the opportunity to PM them.

I have hunted the area you are looking at several times.

1. Hiking on and off the Mesa - doable, but hike up in the morning and down in the evening so you don't screw yourself up as much with thermals. The under brush makes hiking certain areas tough though.

2. Roads - lots and lots of roads and 4 wheeler trails. Yes bring chains - the mud will make them needed more than snow. The trail system on the Mesa makes getting away from people a challenge.

3. Glassing/Calling - very tough to glass on the Mesa because of its relatively flat topography.

4. Pressure? lol you haven't seen pressure until you hunt the Mesa. Have a plan to take advantage of the pressure. Where will the elk go when there is pressure. 1st rifle last fall it looked like a pumpkin patch.

I hunted last year on horseback and the roads kind of took the horse back advantage away. This year we are going to pack camp back into a wilderness area so the horses become more of an asset.

Back