Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

GPS to get?

birddog32

Older Magellan has finally bit the bullet, Won't acquire fixes anymore. Am in the market for new one in $300-$400 range. What do you guys use?

Have checked out Garmins. Don't think I need a rino as I do most of my hunting alone and have my own 2-way Radios. Just want something to get me back to the truck after a day in the national forest, and some cranberry bog type terrain that I am unfamiliar with.

Considered the Oregon but reviews I have read claim they have poor battery life? Will mostly be used in Wi, however would like the option of putting in a chip for western states for muleys and antelope.

Need to to be very user friendly as I'm not to up to speed on technology. Any ideas? and thanks for your time.

I like my oregon but lithium batteries are a must to get battery life.There is a big differance in the battery life between alkalines and lithiums.

I have a rino because of my buddy buying his first but the Oregon is what I would of got if I would of known dum dum was going to lose his a month before hunting season..... The other one I like is the 62st I believe it is

I have a rino because of my buddy buying his first but the Oregon is what I would of got if I would of known dum dum was going to lose his a month before hunting season..... The other one I like is the 62st I believe it is

The 62s is a great unit. Don't bother with the 62st as the only difference is it comes preloaded with 100:1 maps which are not to great. Save $100 by getting the "S" and use that money to get your regions 24:1 maps.

I really like that you can find any point and map it from your location. It will give you directions from city/highways to forest roads then tell you how far off the road you will have to walk. Nice to find a waterhole or canyon on the unit and be able to pre plan your route.

You can download free topo maps for Garmins from gpsfiledepot.com. I have the 62st and find lots of use for the 100K maps - they cover the entire US.

REI still has the Oregon 450t on sale for $270, I decided to pick one up and try it this yr.

I have the Garmin Oregon 550t with the landownership chip. Priceless!

Birddog, yes. You can put multiple maps on the units internal memory or on an sd card. GPSfiledepot has state maps that you can install to Garmin Basecamp, then from there Install them to an sd card on the pc. Rename the map you just installed to the sd card and repeat the sd card map installation for another state, renaming each map with the states name. You rename each map because basecamp will name the map on the sd card "gmapsupp.img". The new Garmin units will support custom names however.

You can also purchase sd cards for each state from huntinggpsmaps.com. More current maps and good service.

I have an Oregon 450 and have the land owner sd card in it and it works great. The only complaint I have is reading the screen in daylight hours. My son has a 76 and I actualy like it better over the touch screen and the display seems brighter. If you have a friend that has a RInhno it's great because you can locate that persons gps.
The one thing that is a must with any display and more so on the touch screen is a screen protector.
I have better luck with rechargeable batteries but lithium is superior for disposable batteries.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back