Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Gotta brag a little… shooting related

EastTNHunter

I’ve alluded to it before, but I coach our County 4H BB team. Team members range in age from 9-15, and I’m privileged to teach fundamentals of firearms safety, marksmanship, teamwork, and sportsmanship. This season we had 23 participants in the program, with 13 going on to compete at the state level. Oftentimes I teach kids who have never touched a firearm, or who have been improperly trained, so I take safety very seriously as my #1 priority, and focus on competition later.

This past Saturday we had our first in-person state shooting competition (jamboree) since 2019, and our kids did great.

The competition consists of a test on firearms safety, rules, and basic knowledge, in addition to 5m shooting in prone, standing, sitting, and kneeling. 5m doesn’t sound like much, but when you consider that the 10-ring is about the size of the BB then you start to understand that this takes a lot of practice and developed skill.

Rhea County Black Ops finished #1 overall, earning a trip to the Daisy Nationals in AR this July!!! Our team had the following individual distinctions:

-Top 3 overall shooters
-5 of the top 10 shooters
-7 of the top 14 shooters
-My baby girl was #1 overall!

I’m one proud dad and coach! These kids did this all with sportsmanship, and while having fun and lifting each other up. They have learned firearms safety and marksmanship that will translate directly into real-world shooting skills for life.

Good for you! What model rifles are the kids shooting?
The guns that they are using are Daisy 499Bs. They are a smooth bore, muzzle loading, single shot BB gun with target peep sights. They use shooting mats, kneeling rolls, and slings that all have to fall within certain specification templates. No other aids are allowed, and only minimal modifications to the guns are allowed… except for paint and stickers. Kids are allowed to decorate their guns, so I helped my daughter with a pink, purple, and gold tiger-stripe :LOL:. She’s quite fond of it. Other kids have done all sorts of different colors and designs and stickers. Makes it fun

Thank you all for the kind words and well-wishes

Keep it up. It all starts somewhere. A local father started a BB gun club and had both his son and daughter shooting at a small indoor range he built in his house.

Cathy has become world renowned for her shooting, all from a beginning of shooting organized BB gun competition…

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back