PEAX Equipment

got me a bow now

Kraven

Hey all I just bought a bow from my uncles hunting partner so its a couple yrs old but its a Matthews FX for $350.00 complete with everything, except arrows.So my question is what type of arrows are good since I have no clue on archery equipment,my first hunt will be in April for Turkey so I have alittle time to shoot.Any other help would be greatly appreciated if you have any advice for me,my dad used to hunt archery so he will be able to help me out quite a bit.Thank you for any help you got.

Couple of things -

1. Is it the right draw length for you? If you don't know have your draw length checked at a pro-shop then make sure the bow is set for you.
2. Once you have draw length determined that gives you your arrow length.
3. Draw weight & arrow length determine the correct spine, or stiffness, you will need on your arrows. The arrow companies have charts that tell you what spine to use for their arrows.

As far as arrows go, that's a personal choice. I used Easton Epics for practice shafts and Gold Tip Hunter XT's for my hunting shafts. Then they changed with weight of the Epics so now I use GT's for everything. I look for straightness and weight consistancy of a dozen shafts, the GT's are .003 straightness & 2 grains +/- weight per dozen.

Actually I should have said the ones I buy are that straight & consistant, they offer some for about $20 more a dz that are .001 straight & within 1 gr weight.

I've shot only Goldtip carbons since they first came. They were the first to make an internal component carbon arrow. Now ten years ago, half of them in every dozen was as crooked as a dogs hind leg, but they got that straightened out.

I shoot the hunter XT's now and love them. Depending on your draw weight and length, will depend on whether or not you shoot the 5575 or the 7595. Any good pro shop will be able to set you up.

Back