Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

got a smoker

Cathunt MT

need some tips. Like what kind of brin (sp) to put like fish in befor you smoke it and how long to let it set in the smoker????? :confused: :confused:

It depends on the fish. For trout or salmon, I just soak it in salt water overnight, rinse it off and then smoke it over mesquite until it is flaky and white (or pink in the case of salmon.) I just soak and smoke the whole fish, minus head and guts. I like to open the fish up so the smoke gets inside, too. Then I pull it all apart, removing the skin and all the bones I can so I just have the light, tasty meat!

For albacore or tuna, I like to soak it in a 50-50 mix of teriyake or soy sauce and water overnight. Then smoke it until it is flaky and done to your own taste.

For other meats, try various rubs. You can make your own - use raw sugar, though. It does not burn and turn black as easily as processed white or brown sugar. I like mixing raw sugar, paprika, a touch of chili powder or cayenne (if you want it spicy), garlic, black pepper, a touch of sage and/or rosemary and kosher (coarse) salt. Rub it all over the meat (brisket or tri-tip), put it in a ziplock baggy overnight and then smoke for 4 or 5 hours at 225 degrees.

"You won't need no teeth to eat that beef."

for fish i use a dry brine (rub it on). equal parts of brown sugar, coarse grain salt, pepper. Rub it into the fish, let it sit and fester (refrigerated) overnight. drain and rinse with water. put on small amounts of the same mix and throw it in the smoker. For fish I like alder wood. I've used this on trout, salmon, steelhead, whitefish and (gasp) suckers. If the suckers come out of cold water they are tough to beat for eats. Always wanted to try some carp out of cold water but never got around to it.

Birds i like apple wood and use a wet brine.

My most common mistake is too much smoke.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back