Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

GoPro?

Flatrock

So I'm thinking about getting a GoPro. I think this has already been talked about on here but how far out can you video and still get decent footage? Can you film something 300 yards away and still see it? Also, I was thinking about putting it on my head for bird hunting. Not sure how well it would work though...

I say no. The GoPro was created for up close and personal videos. If you ever watch any of the videos created with them they are all that way. Sure they look amazing, but anything past 20 yards looks super far away.

GoPro's field of view pretty much duplicates what you see with your naked eye. The way it focuses doesn't really work well for anything past 10ft or so, 2-5ft is what it's designed for.

Anything mounted on your head is pretty much un-watchable. Yeah, you can grab shots 2 or 3 seconds long, that won't make you motion sick, but your head moves around way too much to record long bursts of decent footage. Unless it's a very slow controlled motion, a video camera has to remain perfectly still to record anything worth watching. Hunting shows are really the only programs on TV that actually use footage recorded while zooming(usually in a lame attempt to show how far away an animal is).

GoPro's are awesome for certain things, and most of them can be seen in their 3, 30 second commercials. Underwater, vessel(car, dirtbike, surfboard) mounted, or very short action sequences.

Last edited:
I have been trying to figure out how to rig a go pro on my dog's head. It would be awesome to see a hunt from her point of view. I am kinda imagining a helmit with ear holes.

Let me know if you figure out a good way to mount it on or near your dogs head. I would love to strap it on my lab for some duck hunts. I have seen the you tube video where it has been done before but I have no idea how they attached t to the dog. You might also want to add a piece called "a floaty back door" to your go pro if it's strapped to your dog otherwise it will sink if it comes off of the dog

I need one of these to fit Raina's little rock like skull. Cut some ear holes on the side and she would be ready to go.

I actually have no idea how to mount it on or near her head and keep it oriented the right way. I doubt the wife will be willing to let me shave a square on Raina and glue a QD base. If any of you guys have an engineering epiphanies let me know.

Attachments

• NVGMount.jpg
    NVGMount.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 351
I have the GoPro Hero2. I got it this last winter and it is a fun little camera. So far I've used it while downhill skiing, coyote hunting, spring turkey and spring bear hunting, mountain biking, fishing, and archery antelope. The FOV isn't what you want for close-ups, that's for sure, but it is still fun to pack around to video everything I do. I will be using it for elk season here in a few days and plan on trying it when I go out for upland birds too.

GoPro works great on the roll bar of the car. The vids a super. Matter of fact, it gets fish eye if you focus on stuff too close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back