Goose silhouettes

R.K.

They work.

PXL_20201004_005319439.jpg

Dad came out to visit, and I was able to get permission on a cut silage field for opening day. We found a small line of weeds in the field, and picked the densest part of it to hide the layouts in between.

42 silos, and we got plenty of shooting in- I'm kinda new to chasing geese (only killed two Canadas before this hunt), so this was an absolute riot. Gotta love young, dumb birds. Now to figure out what to do with 8 geese...

Silos are awesome. I make my own, and deploy about 100 when I hunt. I hunt several states and Canada for geese. Start skinning !! Congratulations on the hunt and spending time with your Dad !!

I bone breast and thighs and have meat made into sausage and pepperettes at the end of the year. Drumsticks are saved in ziplock bags and eventually boned and canned for dogfood.

Corned goose is good. If theyre young birds, marinate and grill em. Mix the tough old birds with pig and make sausage. Congrats!!!

I currently have plans for pastrami, jerky, fajitas, steak au poivre, etc. But I really want to do the pastrami- just need to find a friend with a smoker, then vacuum seal and freeze.

Going to braise the legs, thinking in something with tomato, or maybe more like a chile Colorado.

I currently have plans for pastrami, jerky, fajitas, steak au poivre, etc. But I really want to do the pastrami- just need to find a friend with a smoker, then vacuum seal and freeze.

Going to braise the legs, thinking in something with tomato, or maybe more like a chile Colorado.
Sounds like a good excuse to get a smoker.....

Update- medium rare "steak" au poivre is fantastic. Skinless breasts are pretty lean with long muscle fibers, so I treated it like a sirloin. Best to cut across the grain (which runs the full width of the breast) after cooking/resting. I imagine a sous vide and reverse sear would be perfect for these.

That being said, the thin edges got well-done, dry, tough, and definitely had a touch of gaminess to them. Might trim up the breast to be more uniform thickness next time.

Apartment life has its limitations...
You can make it happen. ;) My big production smoker lives in the garage, makes my garage smell wonderful for weeks, it would be like man Febreze for your apartment. :) I'm sure all your neighbors would enjoy wonderful smells floating around the complex. I'm just kidding, I probably wouldn't do it either.

On another note, enjoy the goose hunting over there, you have some amazing goose hunting around you. I'm an eastern montana native and really miss the goose hunting. Used to go out every year, haven't went in about 4 years and I miss it. Have been hunting closer to home lately and it isn't even close to the same.
Make sure you have snow covers for those layout blinds, once the snow shows up, it gets much, much better. Easier to hide, the river freezes in places and concentrates the birds, keeps people at home, etc. Good luck!

Figured I'd update this thread instead of starting a new one.

Two days left in the goose season, and I scratched out a limit this morning- 5 birds on 7 shots.

Silos are still working- big fan of Big Al's. I never needed a snow cover this year, because I was chasing bigger things when we did get the snow.

First tailgate photo. Yes, my ice fishing stuff is still in the truck, along with all my goose hunting stuff.
PXL_20210118_173231340.jpg

Let's play "find the layout".
PXL_20210118_171302763.jpg

Update- medium rare "steak" au poivre is fantastic. Skinless breasts are pretty lean with long muscle fibers, so I treated it like a sirloin. Best to cut across the grain (which runs the full width of the breast) after cooking/resting. I imagine a sous vide and reverse sear would be perfect for these.

That being said, the thin edges got well-done, dry, tough, and definitely had a touch of gaminess to them. Might trim up the breast to be more uniform thickness next time.
Throw away the tender fingers next to keel bone. A delicacy in any other bird, for honkers they are VERY gamey tasting. Wish it wasn't so because the meat is so tender but I have tried every treatment known to man and doesn't help much. Not enough for my palate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back