Good tent for 3rd season elk CO

steveshuntn1

I’m looking for recommendations on a good tent that won’t break the budget for a late season elk hunt. We plan to set up tent at the truck and hike in each morning to hunt. It’s my first year to hunt elk and I don’t want to get too much money invested before I try it out. So should I get a tipi hot tent with a wood stove or go for something like a all season tent and use a buddy heater? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If your just trying things out I would just rent a tent for the next couple seasons. That is going to be the most affordable way to find out what you like. If you buy something because its affordable you won't be happy with it and you'll just spend more money buying a nice tent down the road.

The seek outside setups are sweet for backpacking but if your going to hunt from a truck camp I would get a good wall tent with a wood stove long term. Buddy heaters are ok but you cannot beat the wood stove for dry heat and comfort.

I personally use a Seek Outside/stove setup for backpacking AND I have a Cabelas Alaknak for truck camping. I went with the Alaknak over a Canvas tent for the floor and less maintenance.

Last edited:
I’m looking for recommendations on a good tent that won’t break the budget for a late season elk hunt. We plan to set up tent at the truck and hike in each morning to hunt. It’s my first year to hunt elk and I don’t want to get too much money invested before I try it out. So should I get a tipi hot tent with a wood stove or go for something like a all season tent and use a buddy heater? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Your breaking the budget must look different. If your looking at a teepee tent and stove. That’s a great option. I have camped in the third season in a 3 season sub 200 tent before. It’s not ideal but it works if you have the right pad and sleeping bag. If you already have tents you can probably just make those work until you really get into it. But at the same time if a teepee and stove isn’t breaking the bank, go for it.1D6D1F9B-0C77-41A3-8901-7B52CE166124.jpeg

I'll second the Alaskan Guide 6 person. The tent is solid and withstood 40+mph winds. Used it a couple years ago when the temps were below zero. Had a buddy heater and had no condensation inside the tent. It is kind of a pain to set up solo but once ya figure it out, it goes pretty smoothly. Watch their ads I think I paid 250 for mine between sales and cashback from active junky.

I personally use a Seek Outside/stove setup for backpacking AND I have a Cabelas Alaknak for truck camping. I went with the Alaknak over a Canvas tent for the floor and less maintenance.

My buddy has a 12-man Seek Outside tipi with a stove for truck camping, which is still cheaper than a wall tent and is an awesome setup for late season, and I picked up a Kodiak Canvas tent this summer that is pretty cool.

I'd be renting a wall tent with a stove or looking for a used one, way cheaper than a tipi and way, way more comfortable, lots of used ones for dirt cheap if you look during the summer, being able to dry clothes, stand up, and cook in the tent is a huge increase in comfort over any of the other options and will lead to hunting way harder than trying to drag yourself out of a sleeping bag in a small cramped tent and get a heater fired up or getting soaked from the condensation in a tipi...
Tipi is great if you think you are going to start backpack hunting but a horrible base camp alternative IMO, and a small tent with a buddy heater just mostly sucks (said as someone who spends a couple of weeks a year in an unheated four season tent)

What kinda truck you got? You can always rig up a decent sleeping area in the bed if you have a topper. I've been eyeing the Seek Outside mini wall tent (forget the name), but looks pretty ideal for a few guys and gear with a stove and you can stand up in it. I've spent some time in the tipi tents and it seems there is a bit of wasted space on the edges.

I got an Alaskan guide, works good with a Mr buddy heater. I did the 4 person size, if anything I'd look into different stakes for it. I bent 3 of them.

Something to keep in mind is the mental aspect of hunting. Many guys burn out mentally before they do physically on a hunt. With that in mind, there is much to be said for having a warm, dry, comfortable tent to return to at the end of the day. I've done many short-term campouts (two-nights) in cold snowy weather as a Boy Scout leader, and get by with a small all-season tent, but for a week-long hunting trip it is hard to beat a wall tent where you can stand up to dress, have room for a camp chair next to your cot, plus a stove to keep everything dry and warm. Sure it is some extra work to set up, but if you are truck camping and are not planning to more more than once or twice (and have a couple of others guys you are hunting with) it is well worth it in my mind. I think the one my buddy owns is from Denver Tent Company. They come with options such as wall height and how many windows. 4-foot wall height is good when you put the cots near the walls and have plenty of room to stand up toward the middle.

You will also have to choose whether or not to include a floor. My buddy went for no floor. It is cheaper and easier to set up, and there is no way to keep a tent floor clean. We spread a large tarp on the ground to keep things clean in place of the floor.

I got an Alaskan guide, works good with a Mr buddy heater. I did the 4 person size, if anything I'd look into different stakes for it. I bent 3 of them.
How do you like the 4 person? I’ve thought about getting the 4 for earlier season hunts? Enough room for 2 or is it tight in there? How is the interior height of the tent?

I have a SO Cimmeron and an 8 man. The Cimmeron I use when solo camping when I want comfort. I can put a full size cot in it. If I back pack in with others I take it. I use the 8 man when my wife goes with me and put 2 full size cots in it plus a table and camp chairs with all our gear. I can stand up in the Cimmeron and I am 6 tall. They go up and down quickly. I seldom spend much time in them other than to sleep because I am out hunting. I just don't really have a negative thing to say about them. Archery season I use a tarp so I guess having a stove and a cot seems like the Hilton to me.

I have a Kodiak flex bow tent and love it. It's been through all 4 seasons, high wind, monsoon rains and it still holds up. You can't beat it for ease of set up and value at the price point. I heat it easily with a buddy heater.

This is what I use if truck camping too. I put in a stove jack and can use a wood burning stove or propane heater. IMO it makes a lot more sense than buying a silnylon teepee designed for backpacking or weight/space constrained uses for truck camping.

I've got all the goods to camp comfortably but it's still a lot more convenient to book an AirBnB or hotel late season if you're less than an hr drive from your desired trailheads. Once you start getting into late season, you've gotta want the camping experience, be a long ways from lodging, or want/need to save $ to stay in a tent. Finding/cutting good dry wood to keep a wood stove fed is a hassle. Keeping the stove fed with wood so it's warm but not burning you out is a hassle. Drying a canvas tent out after you get home is a hassle (especially if temps are below freezing at home). Keeping electronics charged can be a hassle. A shower, real bed, shitter, more food options, a place that water doesn't freeze, etc are all very convenient after a long day of stomping around the mountains.

I'd be renting a wall tent with a stove or looking for a used one, way cheaper than a tipi and way, way more comfortable, lots of used ones for dirt cheap if you look during the summer, being able to dry clothes, stand up, and cook in the tent is a huge increase in comfort over any of the other options and will lead to hunting way harder than trying to drag yourself out of a sleeping bag in a small cramped tent and get a heater fired up or getting soaked from the condensation in a tipi...
Tipi is great if you think you are going to start backpack hunting but a horrible base camp alternative IMO, and a small tent with a buddy heater just mostly sucks (said as someone who spends a couple of weeks a year in an unheated four season tent)
100% agree, if I’m carrying the tent I go for a small backpacking one… it’s not awesome for Nov camping but it’s fine.

When I car camp I have a big 6 person tent I can stand in or sleep in a van.

What kinda truck you got? You can always rig up a decent sleeping area in the bed if you have a topper. I've been eyeing the Seek Outside mini wall tent (forget the name), but looks pretty ideal for a few guys and gear with a stove and you can stand up in it. I've spent some time in the tipi tents and it seems there is a bit of wasted space on the edges.
Titan XD. It sits up pretty high off the ground. I’m thinking a good wall tent may be the way to go. If I don’t just go to the motel 6 if it’s close by. Will look into renting one for the first year out I’m thinking after reading these comments.

Last edited:
This is what I use if truck camping too. I put in a stove jack and can use a wood burning stove or propane heater. IMO it makes a lot more sense than buying a silnylon teepee designed for backpacking or weight/space constrained uses for truck camping.

I've got all the goods to camp comfortably but it's still a lot more convenient to book an AirBnB or hotel late season if you're less than an hr drive from your desired trailheads. Once you start getting into late season, you've gotta want the camping experience, be a long ways from lodging, or want/need to save $ to stay in a tent. Finding/cutting good dry wood to keep a wood stove fed is a hassle. Keeping the stove fed with wood so it's warm but not burning you out is a hassle. Drying a canvas tent out after you get home is a hassle (especially if temps are below freezing at home). Keeping electronics charged can be a hassle. A shower, real bed, shitter, more food options, a place that water doesn't freeze, etc are all very convenient after a long day of stomping around the mountains.
After I put in for tags this will definitely be on the list. We are going to try for cow elk the first time out there so if I can find a town with a decent hotel or rental close to where I draw tags then it’s going to be my first option!

I have a Kodiak flex bow tent and love it. It's been through all 4 seasons, high wind, monsoon rains and it still holds up. You can't beat it for ease of set up and value at the price point. I heat it easily with a buddy heater.
Amen, Cushman. 0 and snowing or 70 and sunny, flexbow is easy to store, haul, pitch and strike, even solo. I had 2 wall tents, never looked back after switching to Kodiak canvas. I don't sleep w propane heater running, personal preference as the tent can be well vented. It heats right up as soon as the heater starts in the morning. Get the canvas dry before storing and your grandkids will be camping in your same tent.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back