Good eats/outdoor stores around Springfield, MO?

JLDemo

Heading to Table Rock for the rest of the week, anyone have any hidden gems?

I recently learned of a Bass Pro outlet store in Springfield so I'll be checking it out as well.

Hope the crappie aren't shy!

Springfield is the original bass pro, the store is huge! They also have the a large wildlife museum that I have read is pretty cool, but we were short on time and didn't do that.

Check out plateau fly shop, Bass pro is great and big, the museum is very cool. There are good barbecue joints, good steak joints. You will eat well. I think some of the better restaurants are actually in Branson. I’m an hour and twenty from Springfield.

Looks like we'll have to check the museum out and of course, the bass pro. We've got family living on Table Rock near Virgin Bluffs/Cape Fair Marina, that's where we'll be staying. Branson is on the list, kids are excited about the damn go-kart tracks and Silver Dollar City.

Didn't realize there's quite a bit of national forest near there, and just reading up on the trout streams and lake Taneycomo.

Taneycomo is good trout fishing. I pulled a lot of 21"-23" trout out of there on a fly rod. My biggest was 26".
Not as good as it used to be, but still nice. Google Taneycomo flow charts before you go. It is a tailwater and most of the year they generate electricity starting about ten or eleven and blow the stream out, so you would have to start early a.m.
Tablerock houses some HUGE crappie. When I lived on the lake, I caught a lot of them between two and three pounds.
Some big smallmouth toward the dam also.
I don't know if it is still there, but Whippersnappers in Branson used to have all you can eat buffet with whole main lobsters, crab legs and shrimp, as-well-as regular food. Been a while since I have been there as I live in WY now.
The Boardwalk is kind of cool down on the East side of Branson on Taney also. Small Bass Pro and shops.

Looks like we'll have to check the museum out and of course, the bass pro. We've got family living on Table Rock near Virgin Bluffs/Cape Fair Marina, that's where we'll be staying. Branson is on the list, kids are excited about the damn go-kart tracks and Silver Dollar City.

Didn't realize there's quite a bit of national forest near there, and just reading up on the trout streams and lake Taneycomo.
Friend of mine had a place on Taneycomo that we would spend time at while in College. Its more of a wide river than a lake. Hell of a current to it. Fishing back then was fantastic.

Friend of mine had a place on Taneycomo that we would spend time at while in College. Its more of a wide river than a lake. Hell of a current to it. Fishing back then was fantastic.
I’ve fished it a few times in the summer close to the table rock dam and if they shut the flow down it’s a whole different place compared to when it’s flowing hard. I’m a terrible fly fisherman and had pretty much constant action with nice browns and rainbows. When the siren sounded and the water started to rise it made it much harder for me though.

On Taneycomo if they are running water, it can be tough to fish from shore or a dock. I would check generation schedule if you plan to fish. Lilley's Landing is a good place to fish from their dock and get fishing info in the shop.

The BPS wildlife museum was closed for renovation when I went but there's a ton of mounts around the store that kept me busy. However, it's the gun museum is what I enjoyed the most.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back