MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Good ducky weekend (pics)

mtmiller

I had a meeting out of town on Thursday, so I took my rig and hunting buddy and we "mosied" out to the duck pond afterwards.

I set up Friday morning in the dark and nailed a nice mallard drake first thing. Then birds started filtering in, but just looked at my spread and left. I got interested and "wandered" over to the next bay. Pay-dirt, hundred of birds. I grabbed 1/2 dozen decoys and "ambled" over to the new area. It wasn't hand-over-fist, but I picked up my remaining 5 birds over the next 1 1/2 hours. It was a good day.

Here is a nice pintail drake that still had some life in him after he hit the water. Axl held until I got my camera out and documented the chase.
P1140123.JPG

Eight-five pounds of duck-catcher bearing down.
P1140134.JPG

You can run, but you can't hide. Well maybe for a little while. The bird did a few dives before Axl could finally stop the intruder.
P1140135.JPG

Here is another one that thought he could get away. WRONG
P1140262.JPG

It was a good day.
P1140257.JPG

This morning was even better with another limit of greenheads and another pintail drake sixth duck. I set up in a new spot and killed my 5 mallards in the first 11 minutes of legal shooting light. Took another 45 minutes to find something other than a mallard, but we got it done.
P1140355.JPG

Another hunting buddy was late, but I stuck around with him trying to get a few ducks. Unfortunatley the birds learned well and he was only able to get a mallard and a "pinny". See what happend when you are late. :D

Interesting sign at the boat launch, I think they need to reavaluate their habitat. :rolleyes:
P1140358.JPG

I also did a little bowhunting. The wind was wrong, but I thought there were worse places to spend the evening. One small buck came in, but he was safe. I was to busy enjoying another day in MT. Life is good.
P1140322.JPG

Hey Miller, has Axl sired any pups? Or, do you plan on studding him out in the future and if so, can I get a line on the Dame--He's one fine damn dog and my old girl's days are numbered, sadly enough.

Beautiul pics BTW

Eric, I always wanted to get a pup out of Axl, but when I moved to town he started to wander occasionally looking for girls, so I had him snipped. Although I regret not getting a pup from him, it did keep him from wandering.

On another note, I am seriously considering getting another pup in early '07. I am already looking at a few kennels now.

I hope your girl still has a few years in her. I am not looking forward to the day Axl can't chase down a wiley greenhead.

Great pics, starting a new dog this year gives me a whole new appreciation for seeing a good dog work his magic. On another note the flights up here are increasing daily. The numbers are a little deceptive because they're spread out over so many new sloughs. At first light you can see flocks just about every direction you look.

NICE......... You should have "sauntered with furtiveness"... Would have produced better results .. ;)

Kudos man !!!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back