Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Going to Alaska, Do bears eat people??

The best strategy with the bears, is to get a couple of smelly pieces of meat, and put them in your buddies backpack. Then they won't bother YOU...

Oh yeah, the bears up here love eating tourist/nonres hunters. I think its the bells and bear spray that attract them, not sure. I'd bring the cannon, make sure its big enough to shoot a marmot out of though. you might run out of gerbils and need a backup supply of ammo though while in the field. :D

Seriouslt though, who ya gonna hunt with (flying service, etc)?

As long as your wearing your tennis shoes, you needen't worry, you only need out run your buddies....
Then the bear joke comes to mind.
A guy went to Alaska to shoot a bear...
First day out sees a H U G E bear, takes carful aim and shoots, the bear goes down and the guy runs over to where the bear was at.
The bear was gone, he feels a tap on his shoulder turns and theres the bear standing over the top of him, the bear say's... "Give me **** or die.
The guy doesn't want to die, so he does the bear, bear wanders off all happy, this guy is ticked, goes out to town and gets a machine gun, looks around all the next day finds the bear and takes carful aim.
BRBRBRBRBR... Bear goes down, guy runs over and looks, bear is gone, feels a tap on his shoulder, theres the big bear standing over him stating, bend over or die....
Guy doesn't want to die, bends over and wanders off...
Now not only is the guy ticked, his back end is very sore....
Goes out to town, finds a bazzooka, takes him two day's, by God he finds the bear again, takes careful aim..... SSHHHAAAAAABOOOOMMMM....
He sees a great big crator where that bear was, runs over and looks, no bear, feels a tap on his shoulder, theres that bear again as it calmly states.....
You must not be out here for the hunting... :eek: :D

Lilbiggun, I cant think of the guys name off hand, my dad hunted with him last year and had a blast. He and another guy got one small caribou and they did not see many bou's on the trip as the migration had not hit the area. We will be hunting about 30 miles north of the Artic Circle at a place called Selawik. We will fly into Selawik and then head up river 30 miles. We will be going up a week later than last year, the guy we will be hunting with said a few days after they left the caribous showed up and they shot 2 nice ones forty yards from the cabin.

This should be a fun trip and I am looking forward to it, I just hope the plane does not crash or a worse a bear decides to make a snack of me. I saw the plane they went up there on last year, don't look like much of a plane to me. I think I saw some duck tape holding the wings on.

Fecl,

You will love Alaska hunting as it will likely make a man out of you... ;)

Your dad's hunt sounds like Moosie's, not too many Bous. Our Outfitter apologised to us when we went, as we only saw 75-100 per day. :D

The dreaming is 1/2 the fun, so enjoy the next 3 months, as September rolls along pretty quickly.

Ha ha Libbie wasn't that you in the Spa pool with Oscar last year??, Mate you're so lean I reckon you could float down like a gliding Squirrel if a plane ever got into trouble. ;)
hump.gif
:D

feclnogn... So you're from New Mexico..??....

Well then YOU don't have anything to worry about from bears...They won't touch you...

A few years ago a feeble minded grizzly lost his mind and accidently BIT a Near Mexican...

Poor critter laid around for a WEEK licking his ASS just trying to get the TASTE out of his mouth... :D ... :D ... :D ...

Fecl,
the older the plane the better. Duct tape is the alaskan answer to bondo. If you see it dont worry it will work., sometimes better than factory parts. Whenever I hunt bou I always go out around sept 7, see mucho bou, 1 year I went end of august and didnt see shit. your going out at the right time. You gonna be flying out of Kotzebue?

Your gonna love it. I love the northern part of the state. if you come through anchorage, let me know. I can meet you during your layover or whatever.

Feclhead, Kudos of the Anouncement man !!! I remember last year when I decided to go with my dad. Trip was AWSOME. We had bears , Grizz's to boot, come right through camp. NO worries though, they didn't want to eat us, Jsut the Moose RRemains that was up the canyon a ways :D

Take lots of Pictures, I'm tiered of seeing you and that Guppie BAss ya caught ;)

We had a Chitty year for Bou too... I talked to many that had a Bad year :( Good luck this year !!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back