Yeti GOBOX Collection

Glass for range and hunting

peterk1234

I finally have access to shooting past 100 yards at a range, so I am excited to start shooting longer distances. Running up to the target at 300 yards or so each time I take a shot is sure to irritate the other folks shooting at the same time :)

Will a quality pair of binos (10x42) do the job for picking of holes in paper, or do I need to bite the bullet on a spotter? I have been putting off the spotter purchase for hunting because the threads I have read here led me to believe that unless I am hunting trophies, I probably do not need it.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Pete

Depends quite a bit on caliber of the round and your eyesight. I can see .30 caliber holes at a quarter mile with good 20 power glass.

I don't think you'll be seeing much at 300 with average eyesight and 10 power binos, though.

Target material makes a difference too I guess. I always just shoot white paper printed targets

I have a cheapo Bushnell that I use at the range out to 300. Works fine for that distance. Past that requires something better. mtmuley

Thanks. My wife enjoys photography and has really stepped up the efforts now that we live in an area with a lot of wildlife. So this could also pull some digiscoping duty. She has a 600mm lens but it still is not enough for some of the things she is trying to get. For example, we had a golden and a mature bald and four younger (we think) eagles on a carcass yesterday but we really could not get close enough for a great shot where they would not spook. With this setup though, she may have gotten the shot.

I have been thinking about a scope on and off for over a year because it is quite an investment. But it is starting to look like it may make sense. The kowa 770 maybe a top contender that serve all three purposes but not be too heavy to lug into the mountains.

One of the birds flying away.

Eagle-1-1.jpg

If you buy "splatter" targets you'll be able to see them no problem. They are usually black with safety yellow under them. When you shoot them the edge of the bullet hole are bright yellow on a black background. Makes for very easy spotting

I'm cheap and still use an old Tasco 17EB (spotting scope) that I got in the 80s.

Last edited:
I use a spotter. I started with an Orion 52205 GrandView 16-48x65mm. It was under $100. Still works, but I now use an Athlon 15-45 x 65 ED.

Nice to print whatever target format I want and view the hits...or misses.

Was at the range checking zero on my 22 last week and the 10x42 binos wouldn't work for my old eyes.

Last edited:
I don’t go to the range without a spotter. I have been on many hunts without one. If your wife wants to take photos of birds I’ve heard swaro is for the bird watchers. Lol

The best scope for long distance digiscoping is probably going to be heavier than you want for most hunts. Talk to @schmalts and see what he has. I’m a couple pieces of glass in from him now and have not been disappointed.

@ 300 yards if you use cardboard target light will shine thru and help you see it on any decent quality scope on larger calibers. Past that steel is way to go, i always hit targets with fresh coat of paint when i pull up to range and then i can see splatter marks all the way to my 950 target with just rifle scope. If i am shooting ladders at 400 or other paper way out i break out the kowa 884 and record every hole in my logbook. When shooting 223s out far i often use multiple targets a/b/c and then just compare locations after 3 shots etc. You will figure out what works for you...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back