Gila in 10 Days

Ozzy

Howdy,

I've been watching elk hunting on TV for years, but work brought me out West last year and on the 21st I will finally be hunting them. I have the late rifle elk hunt in the Gila Wilderness. I have scouted it twice and reached out to a lot of people, but if anyone has any pointers (or just good vibes to send), I am all ears. I know some of you will probably be out there this weekend, so good luck to you all. Thanks in advance!

Ozzy

I wish I had some info for you but never hunted nm. All I can say is good luck

Good luck! I spent 10 days down there this fall. missed the one I wanted but I had many many opportunities at average or less bulls. you'll have a blast. check back in after your hunt to fill us in. good luck

I know there are bulls down there even though I haven't been in the wilderness. I've been in 16A and 16D and if there are elk there where they get pressured, I'm sure they are also in the wilderness on the old Whitewater Baldy Fire scar. Good luck. Enjoy the experience.

If your talking 16b/22 then you better make sure you can get it out. Too many people go too far in and lose the meat because they had no help or pack animals.Happens every year now.
There is plenty to hunt from the edge.
Been in there a bunch but never hunting...yet.
Good Luck & Good Hunting!

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the well wishes. I have learned so much from Randy and the rest of you generous other DIY hunters out there. This was my first elk hunt and my first hunt out West (I grew up just hunting whitetail back East). My trip was a success and it still hasn't sunk in how lucky I got. My friends and I put in 50 miles over 4 days and were able to get the job done with a nice 6x6. I am officially hooked on elk hunting!

Attachments

• 20171023_163500.jpg
    20171023_163500.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 714
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back