getting that itch again...

GlockZ

i got an itch for a new rifle, i'm looking to get a light weight rifle, caliber choice is what i haven't figured out yet, other than i'm looking for a short action caliber. i'm thinking .308 win, that should be more than adequate for black bears, elk, mulies & whitetails, shots would be mostly kept 350yds or less. the 7mm-08 is interesting, & so is the 338 federal. i'm open to suggestions to help me make a decision. thank you in advance.

I think you should start by establishing a rifle and scope weight range you want to be in. Then consider how much recoil you really want to take. Thats going to narrow it down dang quick.

You mentioned a couple of good options in the 7mm-08 and 308, I'd also consider the 6.5 Creedmoor and if you want more punch the 270 or 300 WSM or 6.5 GAP (these last three carry a noticeable increase in recoil, if that's an issue). If you want to go all out, contact Short Action Customs.

Last edited:
since all of my rifles are in the 8-10 ib. range, i would like my next rifle to be in the 5.5-6-5 lb. range with scope, as for the short mag options out there the 270 wsm, although a great caliber, a 10% gain in velocity over the standard 270, plus the higher cost of ammunition, doesn't interest me, as to the 300wsm, would have to shoot a lightweight rifle in that caliber to see if the recoil would be an issue for me.

I would look at the Kimbers , Nulas and the Barrett Fieldcraft. 270Win ,6.5CM, 7mm08 or 308.
I am sort in the same search as you. Not sure if Tika has an offering that light or not but if they do they seem to get great reviews.

270 win is long action, based on 30.06 case. Difference between short and standard length action is a few oz. As rifle weight drops, recoil rises. Example: my 9# 7mm Rem mag w 160 gr. bullets feels equal in recoil to my 6.5# 270 win w 160 gr. bullets. In short action calibers, the 7-08 is stronger on bigger game than the cartridge-of-the-week 6.5 CM, more suited for deer-size game and smaller.IMO.

Discussion of short-action rounds should include the .284 in 7mm, and .284 in 6.5 for handloaders. The .284 was built to duplicate .280 (another 30.06 progeny) ballistics in short action.

Next you can consider barrel length, which may negate any benefits of a short action.

Tikkas are nice for the $, light and more accurate than most hunters can appreciate.

Im kind of intrigued by the federal, heqvy bullets at reasonable velocities seem to work at moderate range. I'm more likely to go caliber first, platform second. Have fun scratching the itch, the cfo at my house says I've reached toy expenses for the year, and maybe next.

308 is hardly a bad choice. I have a 7mm-08 too and it is great as well. I do kinda prefer the 308 for elk though. I firmly believe you are more likely to get a decent blood trail with a 30 cal bullet.

I was in the same boat as you. I went with a kimber adirondack in .308 should be here tomorrow.

I love my Howa Alpine in 6.5CM, under 6.5# with Leupold 2.5x8. 120gr Hornady GMX drove through over two feet of elk and broke the offside shoulder with no weight loss, dead in one shot. The 6.5CM is easily an elk cartridge with premium bullets if kept to a reasonable distance and the rifle is a breeze to carry.

I just knew the manbun cartridge would get thrown out there.. Lol

You can't go much wrong with either the 308 or 7mm-08.

And 7mm leaves just a fine blood trail. If you get a bad shot that is.. Lol

Back