Yeti GOBOX Collection

Gerber vital folding knife questions

stu_manji

So I got a free Gerber vital knife when I signed up for gohunt.com using fin's promo code. Here's my question for anybody who's used one. It was dull, I mean I love Gerber knives. I have 3 other fixed blade Gerber knives and they have always worked great on deer and elk and turkeys and whatever else ends up getting eaten. But I couldn't even begin to get through the hide on my elk last weekend with the vital. I thought maybe it was just the blade, so I got the extra pack of blades that came with it, and they all seemed extremely dull as well. Wondering if I got a lemon batch of blades. I was really hoping this thing would make my life easier, since Fin just swears by them. Anyone else have an experience good or bad with them?

It sounds like every other Gerber that I have ever had. I have yet to have one that was sharp, or would hold an edge. I always sharpen even the replaceable-blade knives of all types, as they are only marginally sharp out of the box.

Got to love the diamonds stones!

I don't mean to bust your chops, but sharpening knives is done before the hunt. You don't wait until it's time to start skinning to discover it's not sharp.

Just saying.

I don't mean to bust your chops, but sharpening knives is done before the hunt. You don't wait until it's time to start skinning to discover it's not sharp.

Just saying.

Not to bust yours, but that's the whole point of replaceable blade knives, is that they come sharp and you replace the blade when it's dull.

Just sayin.

So I got a free Gerber vital knife when I signed up for gohunt.com using fin's promo code. Here's my question for anybody who's used one. It was dull, I mean I love Gerber knives. I have 3 other fixed blade Gerber knives and they have always worked great on deer and elk and turkeys and whatever else ends up getting eaten. But I couldn't even begin to get through the hide on my elk last weekend with the vital. I thought maybe it was just the blade, so I got the extra pack of blades that came with it, and they all seemed extremely dull as well. Wondering if I got a lemon batch of blades. I was really hoping this thing would make my life easier, since Fin just swears by them. Anyone else have an experience good or bad with them?

I would call Gerber and see about sending them back. I doubt Gerber manufactures the replacement blades. More than likely you got a bad batch.

JLS...........I didn't know it was a replacable blade knife. I never heard of those blades not being sharp. I thought they were scalpel blades?

I know the point of them. I have a Havalon, but still like my old Buck. The Havalon blades are like razors.

btw When I first got the havalon the first thing I did was check the sharpness.

Just saying.

Last edited:
You must have had a bad batch of blades, those #60 blades are industry standard scalpel blades. Maybe Gerber is making their own #60s too? I'd just go buy another box of them, you can use the Havalon brand ones too, I've never had an issue with those....

I did see a video, can't remember if it was Randy, where they recommended using something with more backbone on the hide of an elk especially up by the neck then switching back over to your replaceable blade. Apparently you can dull out those scalpel blades quick on the really tough part of the hide. Maybe that's what happened?

1 antelope and my Gerber was dull. I was disappointed to say the least when I started on #2 and couldn't even cut a circle around the #2 hole on my animal. It was free so not the end of the world, but I thought it might make it longer than gutting one little antelope. Just used it to gut it, which is not exactly a long process on those animals.

The scalpel blades are industry standard and you can order them from just about any medical supply shop. I can all but guarantee havalon and gerber purchase these from a third party and likely the same party.

If it's dull, you got a bad blade. Where all the blades dull?

My wife and I hacked up a moose last week using both a havalon and gerber.

Only thing I can think of is either oxidation or a bad batch. I just got a free set and they are sharp. I do know that new in box broadheads can be dull if they are a couple years old. I also know that cutting down through the hair will dull one fast. I'll take my vital but if I'm going to be far from the truck I'm going to have a good fixed blade that has a sharp point,isn't so big that it could not be used as a skinning knife but heavy enough to split limbs in case I need to start a fire after a rain.

I actually ended up using a Gerber fixed blade knife to do the job, and it holds an amazing edge if you hit it with a steel once in a while

It sounds like every other Gerber that I have ever had. I have yet to have one that was sharp, or would hold an edge. I always sharpen even the replaceable-blade knives of all types, as they are only marginally sharp out of the box.

Got to love the diamonds stones!

I saw that video too, and thought that was maybe the case, but every one in the pack of extras was the same way. definitely not scalpel sharp at all. just glad I had two other fixed blades and my buddy had two others as well. we made quick work of him anyways, just thought it was strange. I expected razor blade sharp, and that, they were not. I'm going to try to get my brother (he's a surgeon) to swipe me some from the office....lol...those better be sharp!!

I did see a video, can't remember if it was Randy, where they recommended using something with more backbone on the hide of an elk especially up by the neck then switching back over to your replaceable blade. Apparently you can dull out those scalpel blades quick on the really tough part of the hide. Maybe that's what happened?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back