George P

maineiac

has Tobey talked ya outa that Whiskey dog yet?LOL Gotta make a run over that way so I can check out all that hound power.Man is it DRY or what? I can sit here on my deck and smell smoke from a fire over across the river in mattawamkeag.They put it out 3 or 4 days ago,but its going again.Talk at ya later.

whiskey is probably the only dog I have that if I sold there would be problems at home.I will let you in on something though.I bet Tobey will hunt her almost as much as I do this year if he wants to.That dog is something really special to me.The most laid back thing I have ever seen.A lot of houndsmen would probably wonder about her because she is so easy going.But she is all bear and cat dog i assure you that.They would stop wondering when they saw her never missing a bear tree.NEVER need a leash with her.The only hound that I have ever owned that i have never even raised my voice to.She just doesnt do anything wrong.Coming from me that means alot as I am pretty demanding on my dogs.She is not perfect but she has never done anything you could scold her for.
Ask Tobey about turning her and his Lucy dog loose on a mess of cat tracks.What the he** I will tell you.
There were so many different cat tracks off a bait we couldnt make heads or tails of them.We cut the 2 dogs loose.They sniffed around for a minute and then took off running down a snowmobile trail ,looked like they were just chasing each other.I looked at Tobey and told him,I know what you are thinking but I have never seen her just take off unless she is on a track.we followed their tracks for a mile or so down the trail.
Eventually it turned to one cat track and 2 dogs.We stopped to listen.Way off we heard whiskey open with her big long bawls.Lucy joined in and 5 minuteds later the cat was jumped.Then what a race!!! we never goit the cat as he went under ground and we couldnt find him but those 2 dogs put on quite a show.How they ever figured out what track to go on I dont know.They must have just taken the freshest one they could smell i guess.They figured it out alot better than we could for sure.
You cant make her bark around the house.She is house trained and does nothing but sleep all day if you bring her in the house.Faults?She could be a little faster on a jumped bear,never out of the race but my walkers usually lead her a bit.She is tight to the tree but doesnt really hammer out the barks hard unless the bear is low or moving around.She is probably 30 barks or so a minute on a tree.
When she is done pulling hair on a dead bear she goes off ,curls into a ball and goes to sleep.we wake her when we start dragging and she just follows us out.I bet she has started at least 80 bears for me in the last 2 years.You can turn her out on a bait with 10 coons,7 coyotes,4 fox and 1 bear track and she always comesout with the bear.I turn her loose from the truck and if she cant take a bear off she comes back in 2 or 3 minutes and jumps up on the box all by herself.
She is probably my all time favorite hound that I have owned.I have had and still do own hounds with more ability but none that handle like her.

She sure sounds like a keeper to me George!Personally,I'd give up a little of that ability for dog that handles like you describe.And if getting rid of a dog meant I'd have problems with the high chief of the maineiac household,than I'd know I had a keeper,as the mrs is a better judge of most things than I am.LOL Went for a run last night after I started this post.Just exercising ya know.LOL Made a quick tree and came on home.I usually go down by a dam on the river cause of the backround noise.LOL The little fem bluetick I got from Ohio is gonna be a cranker for sure.Baldy's daughter sat on the tailgate with me and listened to the music.LOL Catch ya later George

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back