Yeti GOBOX Collection

Garmin eTrex 10

jvanhoy

Thinking of buying one of these. Cabelas has them on sale for 79 bucks. There's no factory topo maps that you can buy to put on it though. I read online you can find some for free that will work. Anyone done this? Needing maps for NW Colorado. Thanks

I think you need to upgrade to the etrex 20 to use a chip, which is how most of the maps work. Sometimes garmin has refurbished ones for sale on their website, which is what I did.

If you need maps, step up a little bit. I have a Garmin Dakota 10 and it is a great little unit, but I stepped up and bought a reconditioned Dakota 20 that works great with the chips. Check the Garmin factory outlet store. I got it for I think $129 delivered. They are not big, but for no more than I use them, they are fine and fit real well in small pockets etc.

I just checked the compatibility on the onxmaps site and the etrex 10 isn't on there. I have the 20 and it does everything I need it to do, plus it runs the chips.

Ok thanks everybody looks like i should prob pass on the 10. I have a Magellan with topo on it now but it's on its last leg. I've had it 15 years or so.

I have a 10 that I use as a backup, for 79 dollars you then have a redundant system if your main gps goes down. I start my 10 up and mark my start point then turn it off and put it away and use my main gps at least I can get back to where I started if the need arises. Hard to beat for 79 bucks, they are a nice basic unit that works well in heavy cover, I think I paid 100 bucks for mine a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
I use my Garmin 10 for marking bear bait in Michigan and just to mark my camp in Wyoming and Colorado just to find it again if the need be. It is good insurance.

I had a Dakota 20 and hated it. I did pay full price ($300 I think) and had it for a few years but I just hated it. The screen doesn't do what you want it to (your finger pushed or touches where you want but it doesn't respond or type what you want). And the display looks like a cheap video game from 30 years ago. Absolute garbage as far as I'm concerned, especially for a unit costing so much.

I sold it and got the new version of the eTrex 10 and love it. I had the original version from way back when too. I love the mini joystick. Simple and very quick to acquire satellites.

If you want map capability, try the eTrex 30. Camofire has them on sale frequently for $190. Either that or step up to one of the really nice ones, but I'd pass on the mid-range Dakota models.

Emrah

I have the eTrex 20 and love it. I had initially considered the 30 but all it had extra was a digital compass, which I don't entirely trust. Being able to use the OnXMaps chip with the 20 is the best part. Screen is kind of small but the device itself is so small and built like a tank. I put on the carabiner clip and it just stays clipped on one of my shoulder straps. The 20x I think just has a nicer display but not much different. I have seen both the 20x and 30x on Camofire.

Thanks alot guys. Found a etrex 20 on ebay I'm gonna bid on

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back