Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Garmin Chronograph?

Muskeez

Has anyone used the Garmin Xero C1 Pro Chronograph? I think I can get a good deal on one. Is there something better for less $ ? thanks for any experiences and input!​

Reactions: DFS
I don't have one, but from what I've seen/heard they are really nice.

For that kind of money though, my cash is going to go towards a Shot Marker.

Labradar units are going cheap right now.

I've had Garmin for couple months now. Labradar has new one.

LabRadar LX - New Product- Preorder for May Delivery​

Most guys in gun club are keeping the older Labradar, the ones with no problems. There might be price war once LX is on market and doesn't have any problems.

Very easy to use, tracks every shot so you need to remember to end one session before putting another rifle on the bench. I think it is very accurate as well. I’ve been to the range twice with mine. With 4 rifles/loads got velocity’s and zero at 100. Did the math based on the readings and dialed for 300 initially and 500 the second trip. Bullets were plus or minus an inch or so of zero for the distance. I would guess that’ll make it easier for most to verify their dope at distance.

Just got one not too long ago and Love IT!!!!! So easy to set up, don't have to re-zero after a shot string, connects to your phone, small.

Pricey? Yes used some gift cards I had and proceeds from sale of my old chrono.

I have a Chrony, Magnetospeed, Labradar, and a Garmin. Haven't touched the Chrony in years, kept the Magnetospeed as a back up, sold the Labradar for a massive loss, take the Garmin with me every range trip. I doubt that the new LR will be significantly better than the Garmin, LR has proven they have no clue how to integrate an app thus far. I just got done building a little holder to stick my Garmin in for shooting handguns over it on a tripod. Its a cup that hold the factory Garmin tripod in the closed position and has an arca plate on the bottom, that way I can just leave the Garmin tripod on the chrono and swap back an forth from rifle to handgun.

Tried it last weekend. Only thing it didn’t register was my 17hmr for some reason. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Otherwise 11/10. 👍
FYI:
One thing you always have to be sure of is that there is 2 velocity settings for a rifle on the Garmin. I think one is 0-1700 fps and other one is something like 1700-5000 fps.
Had a guy at our club asked if I’d use my garmin to see what his 45-70 was for velocity. I asked him if he had any idea what his velocity was - he didn’t have any idea and was shooting his own cast bullets. First 2 rounds didn’t record. I changed to lower setting and he was in the 1690 fps range and it picked up 10 rounds without a miss.
I’ve used the Garmin on a number of air rifles, 3 different bows, handguns from .22 to 460 Rowland, and multiple rifles and haven’t found it to miss a shot yet if you have the settings correct.

Just used mine for the first time yesterday. Amazing! I can’t believe how easy it was to use (without reading directions). Sync with the app and you have a sweet system! Would for sure buy it again if I had to do it over.

The only difference that the Garmin has versus the Labradar or Magnetospeed is in how they calculate their SD (Standard Deviation)

We had a LR, Garmin and magnetospeed on the same bench, same rifle recording at the same time. Shot and recorded 10 different rounds.
Repeated with 2 different rifles, different calibers. The avg. velocity and the ES on all 3 different rifles was within 2-4 fps.
The SD however was always lower on the Garmin than that of the LR and magnetospeed.
Garmin uses a different algorithm to calculate their SD versus their competitors. Garmin’s SD is just for the shots recorded in that session whereas the others use a population analysis in their calculation - in layman’s terms it’s like a poll on political candidates where they say variances of + or - X points. So in other words, Garmin is giving you data on your session, competitors build in a variance to calculate their SD.
You can verify this by writing down your velocities, take them home and do the math and calculations with the formulas and see for yourself - but in the end it’s like pole vaulting over mouse chit.

Cowboy must be a math teacher. My brother is, he'd be all over this stuff :geek: Thanks to ALL of you folks that confirmed I should spend some money on one. (y)

Watching videos of using them to create a sight tape for a bow sight is pretty amazing to me. I need someone near me to buy one so I don’t need to buy my own

Cowboy must be a math teacher. My brother is, he'd be all over this stuff :geek:
Had more math classes than a math teacher needs, that’s why people make fun of engineers - the people that use them engineers jokes evaluate by emotion, we use facts. 🤓

Seeing a lot of "orange" on sale right now. lol
Competition is good for the end user. Unless LR fixes their poor interface with their app and makes things more user friendly on set up and use with their new model released that compares to a Garmin Xero they'll lose substantial market share, or I should say that they already have.
Try calling LR on a tech problem or send one back in and you’ll soon have your own personal experience.

Garmin is light years ahead with app interface! They have so much experience in this world. I have their dog collar (Pro 550 plus) that ties into their Explore app and it works great! They offer a lot of info but the common guy (me) doesn’t feel intimidated to jump into the newness. Very easy to use!

Had more math classes than a math teacher needs, that’s why people make fun of engineers - the people that use them engineers jokes evaluate by emotion, we use facts. 🤓
And all three of my brother's sons are engineers - LOL! Imagine that? What's the probability? :)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back