Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Gaia GPS vs OnX questions

MITCHMO

I used a free trial of GAIA last year and really like it. This is a little apples and oranges conversation, because I didn’t have the same level of detail on GAIA as OnX. However it made me wonder about two things.

1) is there or could there be a difference in battery life? This would be for offline use. Not sure if different apps use different power but it would be nice to know.

2) can you import data into OnX? I don’t have it so I’m not sure. I liked importing my google earth points and tracks into GAIA.

Just curious

I used a free trial of GAIA last year and really like it. This is a little apples and oranges conversation, because I didn’t have the same level of detail on GAIA as OnX. However it made me wonder about two things.

1) is there or could there be a difference in battery life? This would be for offline use. Not sure if different apps use different power but it would be nice to know.

2) can you import data into OnX? I don’t have it so I’m not sure. I liked importing my google earth points and tracks into GAIA.

Just curious

1 don’t know. Haven’t used GAIA

2. Yes I have imported google earth points into OnX- on the computer not the app.

I use both GAIA and ONX. Without out a doubt GAIA has more map layers and features. I use it for route planning and looking for offroading and travel. It is simple to build routes and plan hikes in GAIA. In the field I export the routes to ONX. ONX is cleaner and less cluttered for me when I'm actually going. For offline no cell service areas I've found GAIA to be fussy. It does download all the map layers, but on multiple occasions I've had to force it to use the offline maps and fiddle with layers to get what I want. ONX is a simple button press and away you go.

They both work, but when I'm actually in the field I prefer ONX.

My .02

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back