FWP Regs complicit in wounding loss?

Ben Long

I was very much interested in Randy's recent podcast and the ensuing thread on wounding loss. I try to stay off my high horse, but I was struck when I stopped by FWP to pick up the 2023 regulations booklet. On the back cover was an ad for Vortex scopes (and Bob Wards) with the words "Everything is in range." (No dis to Vortex. I use and like their products.) Still, I cringe at that message. The implication/inference is, 'get good optics and shoot however far you can see." I'm an old hand in the media biz so I know that ad copy is often hyperbolic, but still, this kind of narrative, IMO, helps create a culture of irresponsible shooting that increases wounding loss. Vortex is free to advertize as they like but FWP should set a better standard, IMO. I'm just glad the ad is not on the back of the hunter education booklet.

From the threads I have followed on here, I'm pretty sure I won't be buying a Vortex scope anytime soon. Or ever. I'd rather have my scopes on top of my rifles rather than floating around in the mail all the time while waiting on warranty repairs. But yes, you are absolutely correct. That kind of advertising has no place in an ethical hunting environment, especially a state agency publication. Someone at FWP needs to get straightened out approving that one. Probably some kid fresh out of journalism or business school who doesn't know which end of a gun gets pointed downrange.

I was very much interested in Randy's recent podcast and the ensuing thread on wounding loss. I try to stay off my high horse, but I was struck when I stopped by FWP to pick up the 2023 regulations booklet. On the back cover was an ad for Vortex scopes (and Bob Wards) with the words "Everything is in range." (No dis to Vortex. I use and like their products.) Still, I cringe at that message. The implication/inference is, 'get good optics and shoot however far you can see." I'm an old hand in the media biz so I know that ad copy is often hyperbolic, but still, this kind of narrative, IMO, helps create a culture of irresponsible shooting that increases wounding loss. Vortex is free to advertize as they like but FWP should set a better standard, IMO. I'm just glad the ad is not on the back of the hunter education booklet.
Whoa Whoa Whoa!! Standard? I am confused. FWP?

Attachments

• B6E44759-8D48-4543-B063-CC5F0900E1FC.gif
    B6E44759-8D48-4543-B063-CC5F0900E1FC.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Ignore the usual children. Hopefully other grownups will step up and voice their concerns to FWP and Bob Ward & Sons. It is one of the worst cases of misleading advertising I've heard of in the outdoors sports industry.

My guess is fwp hires someone to not only print the regs but also to sell the advertising. Decent chance they never saw the ad until a pile of regs were printed. Is it a dumb ad, maybe, not the first and won’t be the last

Last edited:
“Shoot more, score more.”

This was originally a tactic for approaching and hopefully picking up girls, but now it’s only for forked horns.
Use to be lower your standards you’ll up your average…. I guess also works for deer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back