Fun little hunt

Stocker

A buddy of mine just started hunting a few years ago. I’ve been helping him, and I mostly do it because it means I can get out on a few more hunts even when I don’t have the tag. He got a Nebraska doe antelope tag this year so my son and I went along to help. It’s an area I archery hunt antelope every year so I thought I knew where they would be. The 1st day we covered about 200 miles and found a group of 25 but they were in South Dakota. We were a little bummed, but I always use Randy’s “find where they aren’t” to pick me up. Well the morning of day 2 we try an area I know nothing about, find some but it’s all private ground there. We stop by the landowners house and he tells us to go for it. So a short stalk and a 200 yard shot and it’s over. We get her quartered up and into town to the car wash to clean the meat up and get it on ice and that’s that. I think my son is a good luck charm. A quick trip to Chadron for a thank you card and a gift card for the landowner, and we were headed back to the other side of the state.

Attachments

• 2F88A274-B239-4BA7-A4A9-3DFBF13F18D9.jpeg
    2F88A274-B239-4BA7-A4A9-3DFBF13F18D9.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 0B0BCEA0-1646-4003-AE4F-AF94CB2E8F9D.jpeg
    0B0BCEA0-1646-4003-AE4F-AF94CB2E8F9D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 9AC89235-4E8B-420A-BE57-A0365E1AEC6A.jpeg
    9AC89235-4E8B-420A-BE57-A0365E1AEC6A.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
Side note, don’t be afraid to ask permission. I farm here in SE Nebraska and if people ask I usually find a place for them. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve asked to go other places and get a yes. Sometimes a no, and only once in my life a no and “get the hell outta here!”. I know this site is about public land hunting, but sometimes you just have to ask. A thank you card and a small gesture goes a long ways too, especially for future hunts.

That is so great @Stocker that you are helping the newb get hunting experience from a seasoned mentor.

A thank you and a warm smile can go a long way with landowners. Checking back in after you are done to share how things went, telling them what a great piece of property the owner has, and how thankful you are for his generous access goes a long ways for future access for yourself and perhaps other hunters. The gift is a really nice gesture as well. One gift that I have given and seems to be very much appreciated is a framed photo of something from your time on their land.

A buddy of mine just started hunting a few years ago. I’ve been helping him, and I mostly do it because it means I can get out on a few more hunts even when I don’t have the tag. He got a Nebraska doe antelope tag this year so my son and I went along to help. It’s an area I archery hunt antelope every year so I thought I knew where they would be. The 1st day we covered about 200 miles and found a group of 25 but they were in South Dakota. We were a little bummed, but I always use Randy’s “find where they aren’t” to pick me up. Well the morning of day 2 we try an area I know nothing about, find some but it’s all private ground there. We stop by the landowners house and he tells us to go for it. So a short stalk and a 200 yard shot and it’s over. We get her quartered up and into town to the car wash to clean the meat up and get it on ice and that’s that. I think my son is a good luck charm. A quick trip to Chadron for a thank you card and a gift card for the landowner, and we were headed back to the other side of the state.
Nice pointer I think next hunt I do with mixed in private I may just have to keep a gift card in my pocket!

Congrats on your hunt. Good on you for thanking the landowner as well.

Good job! Way to pass the... buck 😏. Just got my mentee his first big game animal in 2020.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back