Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Full Moon Elk Hunting

Trigger50

I'm a MN boy w 12 elk pts in CO. I'm looking at a guided 2013 blackpowder hunt in wilderness unit 66. I just discovered that the full moon falls right in the middlle of bp season, Sept 19th. The guide said, dont worry @ the full mooon. But I'm alittle skeptical. What do you guys think @ a Sept 19th full moon ? One CO guy I talked to said he feels that elk will bed & stay out in the open parks during full moons. Unit 66 is at tree line & I fear that if this is true they will be difficult to call or stalk in the open ? Thanks for your opinions?

I wouldn't worry about it. I actually like bow hunting the week after a full moon in mid-september the best. I killed my bull on September 21st this year, which I believe was 2-3 days after a full moon. There were bulls bugling every where. I shot him at 7:40AM and looked up to say a little thanks and the moon was still out..

Mitch

I think the position of the moon is just as important. If it's overhead in the middle of the night, then the elk will be out being busy all night. Cows will bed to chew cud but the bulls will be busy. Then they'll be tired most of the next morning. If it's up during the day, even though it's a full moon, they will be up then. Moon phase is a tough thing to get a handle on. I know that you need to be there when whatever bull is ready to come in. Hows that?

Shoots straight beat me to it if the full moon rises at 9 am and sets at say 9 pm then I would say it will have no impact on the hunt but if the moon rises at 9 pm and sets at 9 am ( examples only) then I usually have no luck in the mornings. Either way that's a good week to be in the rocky mountains

I made zero difference in my hunt last year. Bulls were still up, moving and bugling at 11:00 in the morning.

and just an fyi muzzleloader season will be over on the 16th.. not that the moon wont be big but

Shoots straight beat me to it if the full moon rises at 9 am and sets at say 9 pm then I would say it will have no impact on the hunt but if the moon rises at 9 pm and sets at 9 am ( examples only) then I usually have no luck in the mornings. Either way that's a good week to be in the rocky mountains

Exactly the same in the UK.
The deer feed all night, then jump back in the woods chewing the cud.
Cheers
Richard

I try to aviod the full moon but I have more options since I archery hunt. The moon is not great for the 2013 ML season but the season occurs later in September. I have had better luck later in September when the bulls should be talking more - makes it easier for a flatlander to find where they are. You have been waiting a long time to pull the trigger. Good Luck.

I killed this bull on the 12th of Sept. this year... the day of the full moon... he and another bull were bugling their heads off... I personally feel temperature plays a WAY bigger factor than moon phase in rutting activity...

Attachments

• ElkRear.jpg
    ElkRear.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 964
I wouldnt worry about it either. full moon/new moon; if the elk are left fairly unpressured, they will still bugle during the day. I killed my bull on September 11th this year, in 85 degree temps, during a full moon, and he and two other bulls bugled all day long. I have noticed that no matter the weather or moon if you can find "fresh" bulls, they will be vocal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caveman84
Back