From Behind Enemy Lines (CA)

pcole916

Hi everyone, this is my first post....fairly new gun owner (1.5 years)...but hit the range pretty often and am comfortable to about 200-300 yards. I would like to start hunting but being that I'm new to the sport I have zero idea what zone(s) would be best in Northern California. I bought a tag last year, but it went unused because I didn't have anyone to go with so I could learn how to field dress. So I've been left with watching TV shows, YouTube videos, etc....and hoping to be able to go out this season. So I guess my only question right now is does anyone know any good zones in Northern CA for deer? And shout out to Randy Newberg and the show Fresh Tracks....I've learned alot just from binge watching the first 4 seasons and wouldn't have known about this website without that show.

Thanks,

Pete

Welcome! I don't have any advice for hunting CA but you you can have a pretty good idea of what to do when field dressing by watching videos and reading how-to articles. Should prepare you enough for when you harvest an animal.

Welcome.
I assume from the 916 that is your area code. I live about an hour north of Sacramento and I hunt a few different areas in the northern part of the state. Since the drawing is done you can only buy tags for areas that are over the counter. Still a lot of areas but no premium zones. I will send you a private message to discuss particular areas. We actually are successful hunting zones like D3-5, B and A. VERY CROWDED but once you learn an area you have a chance.

Welcome to the forum Pete! I'm sorry I don't have any experience hunting CA, but I've been impressed with some of the photos I've seen here on HT of CA critters.

Big black tails in CA. Just post on here you’re looking for a mentor in N. Cali. Bienvenido comps.

I do most of my hunting out of CA. But I did pick up a D3-5 deer tag to do some weekend hunting with the wife. Learn some areas. Get away from the crowds. Go High and try to hit some of the roadless/wilderness areas. One thing to consider if you're planning on staying in CA is to build up some points so you can draw a X zone tag every 3-5 years. Message me. I can point you into some starting areas.

Welcome, have spent many days hiking in northern cali but have no advice on hunting it so sorry but welcome to hunting...be safe

Welcome,

Im from Nevada City and normally hunt D3-5, but like others said start racking up points for x zones/premium hunts. Most deer are taken on private property in the foothills so if you know of anyone with property big enough to hunt, start buttering them up now!

I learned and cut my teeth some 20 years ago in D-7 and the southern A zone while stationed in central Cali. What method do you plan to hunt most? Archer or gun?

Welome from PA. I did live about 2 years in Bakersfield but would head north to the Sequoias about every weekend I could. Man it would be awesome to hunt some of those groves. Mineral Springs area looked rugged. Lots of bear.
Good luck. An learning on your own can be half the adventure. Just do it carefully.

Welcome! Use to live in Northern CA and hunted for blacktails around Red and Black Lassic Mnts and mule deer in the Plumus National Forrest near Taylor Lake. Good luck.

Welcome! I grew up in Northern California, but I didn't really hunt much growing up. I got started as an adult after leaving the state. Good luck this season!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back