Caribou Gear Tarp

Friend is looking for guided Rifle elk hunt

Hessticles

A friend of mine is looking for a rifle hunt hopefully this year if not next! Looking for a very reputable outfitter as he has been on 2 DIY hunts and came up empty! Not sure his price range for sure, but the outfitter he was looking at in Idaho was $6200. Let me know your thoughts so I can pass on the information!!

Thanks

Hey there Hessticles. I recognize you from NEFGA. I have been extensively researching guide elk hunts in WY. 5-6 grand is about par for the course. Some are more, some are less. With a special tag there are some areas you can draw in a year or two. Good luck this season.

Only 2 years? It's gonna take some time to effectively learn an area. 6K doesn't buy you an elk either. Although they generally have a higher success on animals, outfitters have clients that go home empty handed every year. Did he see any elk last year? Any close calls? What area is he in? Is he getting away from the pressure? Maybe we can help out and save your buddy 6 grand....

For what it is worth, I think many guided hunts are well worth the money, and might be cheaper altogether than DIY. Elk would be an example of this, particularly rifle elk. Elk hunting is difficult, has a steep
learning curve and requires either friends, horses, a very youthful strong back, or a low percentage draw tag to succeed. While DIY hunting is admirable It is not always right (or legal) and an out of state older inexperienced elk hunter is the perfect candidate for a guided hunt. My 2 cents

I am with the only 2 years DIY and didn't get anything. lol
I spent the big money on several guided hunts over the years, and came home empty handed every time.
I am 63 now, and am DIY all the way, 2K easily pays for my yearly 2 week Elk hunts out west.
personally I would never spend the money on a guide again.
I switched States 6 years ago, and have got 3 Elk in the last 6 years DIY Rifle hunting.
not bad for a flatlander, just need to do your home work.

Kevin

I moved to Colorado when I retired from the Army so I could hunt elk and antelope like I saw on TV...I'm 0-6 on bulls and have 1 cow under my belt. $6K doesn't guarantee a bull, just a place to sleep and help packing out and some food.

The team at cabelas tags could really help you out. You can work with them on your budget and type of hunt you want based on weapon, physical ability etc. They also help on timeframe and drawing strategies. The best part is that the places they recommend have been vetted by them so you will get a quality hunt. Have used them twice and would do so again in a heartbeat.

My dad and brother hunted with Cody Carr in Montana. They went archery but he also guides rifle for about your price range. Had a good time, saw lots of game, came back with a muley and a black bear. Website is huntwithcody.com.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back