Friday night off the wall question

lodgepoleJoe

Hi All, just sitting here with a tgif cup of coffee and this popped in my head. Has anyone ever been confronted by a landowner who suggested you were trespassing and you were able to prove you weren't with Onx maps? What Happened?

I got shot dusted by an ass hat who tried to tell me I was trespassing and he was trying to scare me off. I walked straight at him and asked what the f**k he was doing. He proceeded to tell me I was on his property, I pulled out onx and showed him that in fact he was no longer on his property and was actually on my father in laws property. He then back peddled and said they saw a pheasant flush in that direction and must have gotten distracted and had not seen me. Let’s just say, we don’t talk much anymore...

A few years ago scouting in WY, a buddy and I had plans to set up a nice camp on BLM. Weather turned bad, we decided to crash in the Xterra on BLM after dark. Middle of the night and a hot to trot deputy sheriff starts pounding on my window. Disoriented, he is yelling that we are on private property and he is going to file trespassing charges. My buddy and I insist we are on BLM. Pull out ONX on both of our phones and my GPS, and he still won’t believe us and is still hot at us. It took him calling dispatch who looked up property records which confirmed we were indeed on BLM for him to concede we were in the right. When I got home, I sent a professional letter to the Sheriff of Hot Springs county WY suggesting he invest in OnX for his deputies to prevent such instances in the future. Never heard back. When the sun rose in the morning, we walked out and saw a BLM sign that said “entering public lands” ten feet from our vehicle. On the contrary, I’ve had great rapport with the Natrona County sheriff department. Sent OnX screenshots of public land with “no trespassing private land” signs on public land that weekend 1/4 mile from the nearest deeded ground. Sent in my documentation and they took care of the signs. Either way, I know OnX isn’t infallible but it’s the best readily accessible tool most of us have.

Back