PEAX Equipment

French brittany

JShane

Alright I've read the archives and would like any recommendations on a breeder for a French Brittany pup. I'm researching and reading but some insight from you folks would be appreciated. Come to think of it in a way I'm asking for your honey hole for buying a pup. Cough em up people. 😁

I can’t help you not a Brittany fan but this French thing, are they somewhat limited? I only know one guy who says he has one myself.
Reason I ask is all litters are not created equal. All beeedng isn’t done as carefully and all pups in a litter aren’t carbon copies. Some will be better than others.
It’d be good to have dogs, litters, pups to chose from, studs to breed to in the future. If a dog was super limited chances of getting a great one might be tougher. If you did, reproducing it through breeding could be problematic. I say so as obviously they aren’t all over in your area. Something to think about.
Hope you understand the intent and take no offense

Make sure whoever you buy from does x rays for hips and shoulders.
^^This is important or at least have a guarantee.

I am a brittany fan (can see in my picture). I ended up going with an American brittany though. I drove from South Dakota to other side of Montana because the breeder preferred not to ship. I am sure it is uncomfortable for a puppy. Just another thought to consider.

Have you considered NBRAN or american brittany rescue?

Might give Mark at classicbirdhunts a call. He's had a steady stream of quality French Brittany bird dogs since I first hunted over them in the 90s. His contact info is on their web site.

I am a brittany fan (can see in my picture). I ended up going with an American brittany though. I drove from South Dakota to other side of Montana because the breeder preferred not to ship. I am sure it is uncomfortable for a puppy. Just another thought to consider.

Too bad. I could have hooked you up with my Fr Britt breeder a couple miles the other side of ND/SD border. He has a great reputation.

A lot of ignorance manifesting itself here. The French Brittany is generally a smaller breed and not inclined to range as far as the American variety. They are also available in tricolor which is nice but certainly not important. I know something about them because I own one. Puppy (aka Coral) is ten. Great little dog (38 lbs). Not a great retreiver but might have been if not running with Labs her whole life. When working alone she will stay with a downed pheasant or catch cripples. Crazy about retreiving ducks from water (go figure). She is a nice size for home and traveling. Puppy does range further than my Lab (Ellie works very close) but always checking back in.20210927_120024.jpg20201025_134929.jpg

guarantees are typically garbage. They’ll tell you yep, it’s guaranteed so send em back. Well put it down and send you a good one. No one ever sends them back but they’ve guaranteed em.
Hmmm the rescue thing is nonsense. You have zero idea how the dog is bred, where it came from, or even if it’s what they say it is. Don’t fall into what someone is trying to sell you. Great dogs don’t consistently get a certain way without good breeding. Typically line breeding. If not a litter is all sorts of ways mixed up very often. Not talking at you brother so don’t take it that way

guarantees are typically garbage.
Plus, by the time dysplasia begins to manifest you’ve already invested a year to several years into the dog. At that point, I’m not getting rid of a dog. They’re family.

Best to make sure (as much as possible) it doesn’t happen in the first place.

Plus, by the time dysplasia begins to manifest you’ve already invested a year to several years into the dog. At that point, I’m not getting rid of a dog. They’re family.

True, but a good breeder should still "make it right" I think there's multiple ways to accomplish that.

But it does really drive the point home that the breeder really matters.

I thought about chiming in earlier that the OP should ditch the idea of a breed and find a breeder that is producing dogs and meet your desires, who care's what the actual breed is.

That’s what I’m getting at. Here’s another thing about dysplasia guys. You can do what you want with this but my old vet once told me not to feed more than a bag or two of puppy food to dog’s prone to dysplasia.
He mentioned puppy food has things in it accelerate growth. It makes and slop in the joints potentially worse as they don’t grow together. He recommended adult food after that initial start of a bag or so of puppy food

That’s what I’m getting at. Here’s another thing about dysplasia guys. You can do what you want with this but my old vet once told me not to feed more than a bag or two of puppy food to dog’s prone to dysplasia.
He mentioned puppy food has things in it accelerate growth. It makes and slop in the joints potentially worse as the don’t grow together. He recommended adult food after that initial start of a bag or so of puppy food
You can also feed puppy foods intended for large breed and/or performance dogs. It isn’t as nutrient dense so the growth rate slows down and you are less apt to run into joint issues that arise because of over feeding.

I feed Purina Pro Plan puppy large breed until a year of age and then transition to the Sport and Performance formula.

You can also feed puppy foods intended for large breed and/or performance dogs. It isn’t as nutrient dense so the growth rate slows.
My old vet said that’s actually adult food just marketed as puppy food. Im
No vet that’s just what he told me. I’ve done it for a long time now and had as many as 14 dogs at once, lots more than that so there’s some numbers to draw off of personally.
I’ve got a vet in my dog club I should ask him his opinion on this

Gents I appreciate the insight. This is why I start conversations like this. There will always be information that is highly useful.

My last and best dog was a frenchie, goddamn I loved that girl. Her hips went out at 6, next 6 years were just her and I riding around like best buddies. Absolutely need to find a great breeder for these pups.

guarantees are typically garbage. They’ll tell you yep, it’s guaranteed so send em back. Well put it down and send you a good one. No one ever sends them back but they’ve guaranteed em.
Hmmm the rescue thing is nonsense. You have zero idea how the dog is bred, where it came from, or even if it’s what they say it is. Don’t fall into what someone is trying to sell you. Great dogs don’t consistently get a certain way without good breeding. Typically line breeding. If not a litter is all sorts of ways mixed up very often. Not talking at you brother so don’t take it that way
I have only used one breeder and my dogs are in same general line. If I have an issue, my guarantee is money back at evidence of spay or neuter or first choice in next litter. Garbage?? Maybe, maybe not. I would keep the dog. I don't send em back or put em down. They are family pretty quick. Sounds quite a bit different than what you are describing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back