Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Freezer buck

TBinKodiak

Well I hunted the Sitkas pretty hard this year and saw some decent bucks. I looked over 70+ bucks and the biggest I saw was a 3X4 with brow tines. That was the second weekend of the season and I held out for a 4X4 with brows. Unfortunately it didn't happen so I hiked up the mt on Sunday with the intention of shooting the first buck that crossed my path. It was such a great day I ended up passing on a decent 2x2 with brow tines and hiked further back in, saw 4 more bucks but nothing bigger than the first one so I hiked back to that area on the way out. I spotted this guy and decided I better put some meat in the freezer. I’m planning to try for elk and deer over on Afognak later in the month, if the weather cooperates, so hopefully I'm not done yet.
2006Buck1.jpg

2006Buck4.jpg

TB, thats cool looking country !!!! Congrats on the Hunt. I don't see any snow there yet... is it coming soon ?

Moosie, that's up there at about 1,400 feet. Some of the Mts back in have termination dust on them at about 3,000 feet. Usually by the end of October it will have snow down to the 1,000 foot mark. You shouldn't have any problems getting a buck bigger than that guy. He's a little 2.5 year old that needed to be eaten. :)

Cool looking country. Thanks for the pics. A week from today we'll be flying out of Kodiak to our hunting area (weather permitting).

Just curious, whats the average Sitka bucks weight,and how they compare in size to other types of deer.

If you get more than 60-70 lbs of meat from a Sitka blacktail then you have shot a big deer. A few years back I shot a forked horna dn a nice 4 point and my friend shot a forky and 3x4. After cutting them up and taking them home I ended up with about 200lbs worth of meat. I would say they get about the size of a cous deer, at least most of the cous deer I've seen in pictures. Average live weight on a big buck is about 150-175 lbs though i'm usre there have been a few taken over the years that were somewhat larger than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back