Flying With Fresh Elk Meat

KayakMacGyver

Flying out of Tallahassee, FL tomorrow morning and will be solo hunting the Elk woods 9/14-9/23. JACKED is an understatement.

When I shoot an Elk (I don't live by an IF credo), I have a processor lined up to butcher/freeze my meat so I can pack into coolers and fly it home. I've always butchered my own game, so this part is tough for me, but logistically makes sense.

I've done the math, and checking it on the plane is the way to go. That said, I'll have to fill my tag no later than 9/21 to get the meat back in time to fly it home with me....this got me thinking.

Airlines allow for up to 5.5 lbs of dry ice per checked "bag"...i.e. cooler. Let's say I shoot the Elk on 9/22 and am able to cool it and get it into coolers. I'd look for cooler space to get it as cold as possible on 9/23 before heading to the airport.

Would 5.5 lbs Dry Ice last long enough to get the fresh meat back home? Has anyone ever used dry ice on fresh meat, as opposed to frozen items?

An added advantage of this is that I'd be able to process on my own when I get home. A very minor bonus, but it is nice.

Appreciate any insight from folks who have flown with fresh meat.

Thanks in advance

If the meat is cold and the cooler is full it should be fine w/out dry ice. Cargo areas are already cold to help.

5lbs of dry ice will lightly freeze the meat it is closest too, but nothing further over a flight.

If you can get it frozen you will be golden. I just got back from an AK caribou hunt and I put the entire boned out animal in my carry-on to avoid any baggage fees (no dry ice). Total travel time was around 10 hours and my meat was still completely frozen when I got home. I had 1/3 of it in a yeti hopper the other 2/3 was just in a roll top dry bag in the meat-shelf of by backpack.

Some things to consider...
Every checked bag over 50lbs gets slapped with weight overage charges and they wont accept over 100lbs.
A boned out bull will be at least 210lbs. if you are meticulous/have a big bull could be 250-270 range
If you have it butchered there, and you have them grind anything and they add fat this will increase your yield 1/5 ish

My recommendation for saving money is to check your weapon, carry-on your optics, ship the rest of your gear, bone out your meat and freeze (butcher when you get home), check three coolers 50lbs each and carry-on the rest. If you want a shoulder mount have it done there and have they ship back the finished animal, if you are doing a euro clean the head in the field, power wash it, salt it then wrap it tight in plastic wrap, cut off one antler at the pedicle just below the base, wrap the tips in bubble wrap, cardboard, etc. then throw them in a big duffel with you sleeping bag/ clothes. Cutting off just one antler allows it to fit in a bag and gives a taxidermist/ you a reference point so that when you reattach you get the angles correct.

Good luck.

5 pounds of dry ice will be more than adequate to keep the meat cold during transit. It will even freeze the meat close to it. The cold air falls so put the dry ice at the very top.

Appreciate the quick responses. Key word here is FRESH meat, assuming freezing is not an option. Have no intention of using dry ice if I'm able to freeze the meat.

Willm, your info is insightful and pretty much my plan to a Tee...although my considerations for a the antlers are slightly different.

Southwest allows 2 free checked bags. My bow will count as 1 and I plan to fill my duffle with soft sided coolers. I'll carry on as much as possible, then check the rest. It will cost me $75 for an additional checked bag up to 50 lbs and $150 up to 100 lbs. So it makes no difference if I check 2 coolers at 50 lbs, or 1 cooler at 100.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back