Flyfisherman Magazine

northwestalaska

Any one pick up the latest issue of Flyfisherman Magazine? Cool story on Char fishing above the Arctic Circle.

It hit the news stands Feb 4th and featured the best Char fishing in North America. The article looked atThree Rivers Nunavut, Ungave Quebec and Unit 23 in Northwest Alaska (Kotzebue)

Up here the rivers featured are the Wulik ( home of the state record-27 pounds!) the Kivilina, Kuggurorok and the Kelly/Wrench. Lots of great pics, good contact numbers. Nicely written and lots of tips for the do it yourselfer.

The author was one of my clients last summer and he hammered the Char when he came up in mid August for the spawning runs. His group averaged 15+ fish a day each with most in the 12-15 pound range and the largest was a monster at 23 pounds! We are talking fish boys!

Fishing up here can be done for a lot less than you think and you will have the river all to yourself! I hit the Kelly last summer and in 4 days we only saw 1 airplane that landed for a day trip of Char fishing. No crowds, wide open spaces and lost of great fishing!

If you are interested in finding the best Char/Dolly fishing spots in the state drop me a line of visit my web site at www.northwestalaska.com

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
Kotzebue
Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back